March 10, 2014
|| Memphis at Belmont
|| How to Follow
|| Tuesday, March 11
LISTEN ON WUMR, 91.7 FM
LHP Ryan Garner
LHP James Buckelew
(0-0, 2.25 , 8 IP, 1 BB, 4 K)
(0-2, 0.51 , 17.2 IP, 8 BB, 16K)
|Memphis and Belmont meet for the second time this season. The Tigers will face LHP James Buckelew for the second time while sending out LHP Ryan Garner for his first career start.
• The Tigers are in the polls for the second-straight week, bringing in 52 votes in this week's USA Today Coaches Poll.
• Memphis is in its 101st year of baseball with a record of 1678-1275-16.
• Ironman SS Ethan Gross has started in a program-record 167 consecutive games.
• The Tigers are 12-3 to start the season, the best start since 1994
• 1B Tucker Tubbs set a single-game record with 21 putouts in Friday's 17-inning game against Central Arkansas.
• The Tigers played back-to-back extra-inning games for the first time since April of 2006 over the weekend.
• Memphis earned its first extra-inning victory since May 18, 2012 with the Jake Little walk-off single on Saturday.
• Last weekend, Memphis played three games that spanned 40 innings, a first in program history. The closest such mark came in 1999 when the team played three games lasting 21-9-9 innings.
• The Tigers are one of 12 teams in NCAA with 12 or more wins this season.
• RHP Jon Reed was named to the American Athletic Conference Weekly Honor Rool on Monday after his dominant start on Friday. His outing on March 7 - 8.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
SCOUTING THE BRUINS
• Belmont has lost five-straight games entering Tuesday’s match up, having been swept by Southeast Missouri over the weekend and dropping a midweek tilt against Southern Illinois.
• The Bruins picked up a big series win over Mercer, but lost the series finale to begin what stands as a five-game drought.
• Belmont hits .214 as a club with Drew Ferguson leading the team with a .333 average, five home runs and 10 RBI.
• Catcher Jamie Ritchie, a Johnny Bench Award nominee, also has 10 RBI and hits .327 with a team-high five steals.
• On the mound, Belmont sports a 3.67 ERA with 104 strikeouts against 47 walks in 130 innings.
• Opponents hit .275 against the staff that has allowed 138 hits for 53 runs, 47 of which have been earned.
• Tuesday’s game will be the second meeting between the two clubs.
• The first meeting came on February 25 with the Tigers edging out Belmont 2-1 at FedExPark.
IN STATE BATTLES
• Memphis sports a record of 207-104-1 against opponents from the state of Tennessee since 1978.
• Belmont became the 16th different opponent from Tennessee that the Tigers have faced with the first meeting this season.
• Tuesday’s game is the second of seven games against teams from Tennessee this season.
• Memphis is one of 12 teams in NCAA D-1 to win 12 or more games this season.
• As of Monday, only two teams are unbeaten, South Carolina (15-0) and Central Connecticut (1-0).
• With three losses, Memphis is among a group of 41 teams with three or fewer losses.
• Going into the season, Memphis pitchers didn’t showcase much experience.
• After 15 games, three key bullpen arms have combined for 17 appearances.
• Craig Caufield, Blake Myers and Jacob Moody made a total of 28 appearances last season for a total of 21.1 IP. This year, the trio has already combined for 23.2 IP