No. 17 Memphis Drops 83-73 Decision to UConn
Go Tigers!
Go Tigers!

Go Tigers!

Jan. 16, 2014

Box Score |  Quotes |  Notes |  Photo Gallery  |  USATSI Gallery 

Box Score (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A tie game with 5:22 to play, UConn (14-3, 2-2 American) was a perfect 7-of-7 from the field and 6-of-6 from the charity stripe the rest of the way as it handed the No. 17 University of Memphis men's basketball team (12-4, 3-2 American) an 83-73 loss Thursday night at FedExForum.

Michael Dixon Jr. led the Tigers with 16 points while Austin Nichols totaled 13 points from the floor and pulled down five boards. Joe Jackson (11) and Shaq Goodwin (10) also notched double figures for Memphis, who shot 44 percent compared to the Huskies' 57 percent.

UConn was led by DeAndre Daniels, who tallied 23 points on 4-of-5 from behind the arc while adding 11 rebounds to his stat line. Shabazz Napier added 17 points and 10 assists for the Huskies, and Lasan Kromah chipped in 13 on 5-of-5 from the floor.

The Huskies jumped out to an 11-6 advantage in the first three and a half minutes of the game with five points coming from Daniels. Memphis answered on the other end with back-to-back threes from Chris Crawford and Geron Johnson to put the Tigers up by one.

Tied at 14, UConn put together a 7-0 run in a span of a minute to distance themselves from the Tigers. The Huskies looked to be in control until a turnover fueled the Tigers to five-straight points capped off by a three-pointer from Dixon Jr., which pulled Memphis within two, midway through the half.

After a UConn bucket, Dixon Jr. continued to keep the Tigers in it with two free throws and another triple to help Memphis to a 24-23 lead with 9:05 to play.

A layup from Jackson at the 7:20 mark gave the Tigers a one-point lead as Memphis never relinquished its advantage the rest of the half. Nichols hit five-straight from the charity stripe to put the Tigers up 36-31 with 2:39 to go.

The Huskies' shooting from behind the arc continued to keep them in the game, hitting two in the final two minutes of the half to pull within one, 40-39, at the break.

UConn stormed out to a seven-point lead out of the half, hitting its first four shots to go up 49-42. After a Memphis timeout, the Tigers responded with back-to-back threes from Johnson and Crawford to bring the U of M within one. On the next play, a dunk from David Pellom gave the Tigers the lead at 50-49 with 14:23 to play.

Holding a one-point lead, the Huskies extended it to seven with two buckets from Daniels followed by a layup from Tyler Olander to make it 61-54 with 8:20 remaining.

The Tigers rallied once again with an 8-1 run to knot it up at 62-all after a jumper from Goodwin with 5:22 to play.

It would be UConn the rest of the game as the Huskies built a 70-63 lead with 2:56 to play and never allowed Memphis to get within four in the final minutes on their way to an 83-73 win.

Memphis continues its homestand Saturday when the Tigers welcome LeMoyne-Owen to FedExForum. The game is set to tip-off at 1 p.m. (CT) and will be televised on SportSouth.



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist