Tigers Hold Off Herd, 73-72

Jan. 26, 2013

By The Numbers
10 Memphis won its 10th-straight game, the longest winning streak while Josh Pastner has been head coach.
15 Joe Jackson scored in double figures for the 15th-straight game, finishing with 16 points to lead the Tigers.
44 The Tigers shot 44 percent (7-16) from behind the arc. Adonis Thomas and Antonio Barton each hit two treys to lead the team.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The University of Memphis men's basketball team (16-3, 5-0 C-USA) held off a pesky Marshall squad (9-11, 2-3 C-USA) late in the second half for a 73-72 win, their 10th-straight, Saturday afternoon at FedExForum.

Both teams went back and forth in the early going, but Memphis jumped out to a 12-8 lead five minutes into the game. The Thundering Herd kept it close with back-to-back threes to knot the game at 14 before a three by Antonio Barton gave the Tigers a 17-14 advantage.

With a 20-18 lead, Memphis began an 8-0 run over the next 2:08 with Adonis Thomas and Tarik Black each contributing four points apiece to hand the Tigers a 10-point lead with seven and a half minutes to play in the half.

Marshall answered with a quick 7-0 run to cut the Memphis lead to 28-25 before Thomas ended the Thundering Herd's spurt with a trey at the 5:42 mark. Marshall came back with three-straight baskets to tie the game up at 31 before Thomas answered again from long range to give Memphis a 34-31 advantage with 3:41 left in the half.

Marshall was held to just one field goal in the final four minutes as Memphis went into the half with a 38-33 lead. Thomas led the Tigers at the break with 12 points while Joe Jackson recorded eight points and four assists. Black led the team with seven rebounds and added six points in the first period.

The Thundering Herd cut the Memphis lead to two in the opening minute of the second half. However, D.J. Stephens knocked down a three followed by a basket from Jackson to push the Tigers lead to seven.

A three from D.D. Scarver cut Marshall's deficit to two at the 12:41 mark. Memphis answered with a three-point play from Jackson and a three from Barton to give the Tigers a six-point advantage before a free throw from Thomas and a layup by Jackson built Memphis a nine-point lead at 58-49.

Scarver brought the Thundering Herd back into it with a three-point play from under the basket to make it 60-56 with 7:24 to go. Teams traded baskets over the next four minutes before Marshall brought its deficit to just two with a layup by Elijah Pittman with 3:09 remaining.

Chris Crawford answered on the other end with a layup in the paint to bring the Tigers lead back to four at 68-64. A three from Scarver brought the Marshall deficit down to one before two free throws from Black gave Memphis a 70-67 advantage. Dennis Tinnon got a basket down low to bring it to 70-69 while Jackson drew a foul on the other end to give Memphis a 71-69 lead with a 1:03 left.

Marshall missed three chances on the next possession to tie it up before Geron Johnson came away with the defensive rebound. The Thundering Herd got another opportunity for a win after two missed free throws by the Tigers. A three from Pittman missed the rim and Crawford grabbed the loose ball and drew a foul. After two free throws from Crawford to go up 73-69, a three from Deandre Kane at the buzzer made the final 73-72.

Jackson led the Tigers with 16 points for his 15th-straight game in double figures. Thomas chipped in 15 points while Shaq Goodwin added 11 for Memphis.

Memphis will hit the road Wednesday when they face East Carolina in a 6 p.m. (CT) contest in Greenville, N.C.



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist