No. 19 Memphis Falls to No. 21 UConn in American Quarterfinals
Go Tigers!
Go Tigers!

Go Tigers!

March 13, 2014

Notes |  Photo Gallery 

Box Score (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The No. 19 University of Memphis men's basketball team was held to 26 percent from the field while No. 21 UConn shot 53 percent from the floor and knocked down 10 three-pointers to hand the Tigers a 72-53 defeat Thursday night in the American Athletic Conference quarterfinals.

Joe Jackson and Chris Crawford each tallied 10 points to lead Memphis (23-9). Nick King came off the bench to add nine points while Shaq Goodwin and Geron Johnson each recorded eight. Memphis was held to just 14 field goals in the game and was 20-of-37 from the charity stripe.

UConn's Niels Giffey finished 6-of-8 from three-point range to lead UConn (25-7) with 24 points while adding a team-high nine boards. DeAndre Daniels totaled 13 points while Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier each posted 11 points on the night. The Huskies finished the game 10-of-20 from behind the arc and was 27-of-51 from the floor.

Memphis was held to just one field goal through the first seven minutes with a three-pointer from Johnson. However, the Tigers kept close by going 4-of-6 from the charity stripe for an 8-7 UConn advantage. A three-point play by Amida Brimah put the Huskies up four before Napier extended the UConn lead to 14-7 after a trey with 12:04 to play.

The Huskies continued to push, stretching their lead to double figures at 18-8 after two free throws from Terrence Samuel. Memphis pulled back within seven after a layup from King for 21-14, but UConn answered with back-to-back threes from Giffey, helping the Huskies take a 29-17 advantage with 7:10 remaining in the half.

Memphis trimmed its deficit to eight after a free throw from Austin Nichols to make it 29-21 with less than six minutes to play. Giffey knocked down another three to stretch the UConn lead to 11, but the Tigers were again able to bring it back to single digits with help from David Pellom at the line to make it a 32-24 game with 3:36 to go.

Back-to-back buckets by UConn pushed it back to double digits before Boatright connected from downtown to help the Huskies take a 41-27 lead into the break.

The Tigers cut their deficit to 11 out of halftime, but UConn remained hot from behind the arc as Napier knocked down a three-pointer to give the Huskies a 16-point lead at 48-32. UConn built a 20-point lead following a layup by Boatright four minutes in to the second period.

The Huskies continued to pull away as Giffey connected on his sixth triple of the night to put UConn up 23 with a 60-37 lead with 11:09 to go.

Johnson's jumper at the 14:23 mark would be the only field goal for the Tigers in 10 minutes until a three-pointer by King made it 64-43 with 4:21 to play. A four-point play by Crawford with less than two minutes to play brought Memphis within 18, but that would be the closest the Tigers would get as UConn picked up the 72-53 win.

Memphis will wait to find out where it's heading in the NCAA Tournament on Sunday when the NCAA reveals the field of 68.



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist