March 23, 2013
Box Score |
No. 20/17 Memphis (31-5) 48, No. 9/9 Michigan State (27-8) 70
March 23, 2013
NCAA Tournament Third Round
The Palace at Auburn Hills (Auburn Hills, Mich.)
- This was the third meeting between the two programs.
- Memphis leads the all-time series 2-1
- Memphis leads the all-time series 2-1 in games played against Michigan State on a neutral court.
- Tarik Black recorded a season high 32 minutes; Black's previous high was 30 minutes coming against VCU (11/22/12).
- Geron Johnson led the Tigers with 16 points, the sixth time he has led the team in scoring this season.
- Joe Jackson recorded seven rebounds to lead Memphis, the third time he has led the Tigers this season.
- Joe Jackson handed out three assists to lead the Tigers, the 22nd time he has led Memphis this season.
- Geron Johnson and Chris Crawford each recorded two steals to lead Memphis, the 15th time Johnson has led the team this season and sixth time for Crawford.
- D.J. Stephens led Memphis with four blocks, the 24th time he has led the Tigers this season.
- The Tigers now have an all-time record of 33-25 in NCAA Tournament play.
- Memphis was 2-4 this season when trialing at the half.
- Geron Johnson (16 points) and Joe Jackson (12 points) each notched double-figures scoring for Memphis. This season the Tigers were 5-1 when two players scored in double-digits.
- Joe Jackson (12 points) recorded his 28th double-figure scoring game this season. Jackson has 63 double-figure scoring games for his career at Memphis.
- The Michigan State defeated Memphis by 22 points, the largest margin of defeat in the 2012-13 campaign. The previous largest margin of defeat was 13 coming at the hands of VCU (11/22/13).