Nov. 14, 2013
Box Score |
USATSI Gallery |
|| Memphis vs. Austin Peay- Series Notes
- Memphis leads the all-time series 19-4.
- The Tigers have won the last eight meetings in the series. The last Austin Peay victory in the series was in the 2002-03 season, an 81-80 overtime victory in Memphis' home opener at The Pyramid.
|| Memphis vs. Austin Peay- Team Notes
- The Tigers improved their all-time, season-opener record to 65-28. Memphis has won its last 10 season openers and is 5-0 in season openers under head coach Josh Pastner
- Memphis improved its all-time, home-opening record to 72-21. The Tigers have won their last 11 home openers and are 5-0 in home openers under head coach Josh Pastner.
- The Tigers improved their record to 57-13 when their season opener and home opener are one in the same game.
- Memphis now has 163 wins at FedExForum (163-18) since the arena opened in 2004-05. The 163 wins by the Tigers at FedExForum are the most homecourt victories by an NCAA Division I program since 2004-05.
- Memphis was the last - or 351st - NCAA Division I program to open the 2013-14 season.
- The Tigers scored 51 points in the first half Thursday. The last time Memphis scored 50 points in a first half was against Austin Peay in the 2011-12 season. The Tigers netted 52 first-half points in a 91-60 win over the Governors Dec. 3, 2011.
- The last time Memphis scored 50 or more points in either half came in the 2013 Conference USA Tournament semifinal vs. Tulsa. The Tigers scored 51 second-half points in an 85-74 win over the Golden Hurricane Mar. 15, 2013.
- Six Tigers scored in double figures tonight (Goodwin, Jackson, Dixon Jr., Johnson, C. Crawford, King). The last time five or more Tigers scored in double figures was against UCF on Feb. 13, 2013.
- Memphis forced 15.5 turnovers per game last season. The Tigers forced 21 Austin Peay turnovers in tonight's contest.
|| Memphis vs. Austin Peay- Player Notes
- Freshman Austin Nichols got his first collegiate start. He is the first Tigers freshman to start a season opener since Joe Jackson and Antonio Barton did so in the 2010-11 season opener (vs. Centenary, Nov. 12, 2010). Nichols finished the game with six points and four rebounds.
- Freshmen Dominic Woodson and Nick King also made their collegiate debuts vs. Austin Peay Thursday. Woodson finished with four points and three rebounds, while King had 13 points and five rebounds.
- Freshman Kuran Iverson did not play in Thursday's game due to a one-game NCAA suspension for playing in an unauthorized summer league game. He is eligible to play in the Tigers' Nov. 19 game at Oklahoma State.
- Senior Geron Johnson posted his first collegiate double-double of his career, finishing with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The 10 boards tied a career high (he had 10 rebounds in a Tigers' road win at UTEP last season).
- Senior Michael Dixon Jr., a transfer from the University of Missouri, made his first start as a Memphis Tiger Thursday. Dixon posted 15 points and four rebounds.
- Senior Chris Crawford inched his way closer to the 1,000-point milestone for his career. With his 11 points vs. Austin Peay Thursday, he now has 937 career points.
|| Up Next
- Memphis travels to Stillwater, Okla., on Tuesday, Nov. 19 to play No. 8/12 Oklahoma State in a top-15 match-up. The game, to be televised by ESPN, is slated for a 7 p.m. (CT) tip.