Memphis at Rice Game Notes
Oct. 8, 2011
TEAM GAME NOTES
· With the three turnovers forced in today's game, the Tigers have now registered 14 takeaways through six games. Memphis logged 13 takeaways all of the 2010 season.
· Injuries in the offensive line have continued to plague the Tigers and have forced multiple lineup changes this season. In today's game, freshman Al Bond made his first collegiate start. He was in at right tackle and Jordan Devey, who had started the previous five games at right tackle moved in to right guard. Michael Antonescu made his first start of the season at left guard. Ronald Leary started at left tackle and A.J. Antonescu was the starting center. This is the first game that both Antonescu brothers have been in the starting lineup together.
· Receiver Marcus Rucker made it back in the lineup today after missing the last two games with a knee injury. He extended his receiving streak to 16 games with a nine-yard reception in the fourth quarter.
· Receiver Tannar Rehrer caught 11 passes for 89 yards in today's game. This is the third-straight game that Rehrer has caught at least five passes; and the fourth time this season he has done so. The 11 receptions are a career best and rank tied for third in school history. Duke Calhoun was the last Memphis player to record 11 or more receptions with 11 against Southern Miss in 2009. The 89 yards receiving is also a career best for Rehrer.
· Andy Summerlin came into the game with :30 remaining in the third quarter. It was the first time that Summerlin has come in at quarterback since he left the season opener against Mississippi State with an injury.
· Taylor Reed completed 15-of-30 passes for 100 yards. He threw one interception in the third quarter, which is the first pick that Memphis has tossed since the season opener. He later threw another interception at the end of the fourth quarter. Memphis came into the game ranked tied for second nationally in least interceptions thrown. One of the 14 teams that Memphis was tied with is Rice, and they gave way to an interception in the first quarter.
· Andy Summerlin completed a career long 44-yard pass to Kevin Wright in the fourth quarter. The reception was a career long for Wright and is third longest offensive play this season. Summerlin completed 9-of-13 passes for 137 yards.
· Terrence Thomas intercepted Taylor McHargue at the Memphis 20 with just over 10 minutes left in the first quarter for his second career pick. His other was against Mississippi State last year. Thomas made a return of 20 yards on the pick. The Tigers were unable to score off the miscue. This is the fifth-straight game that the Memphis defense has logged an interception.
· Paulo Henriques put the first points on the board for the Tigers when he booted a 50-yard field goal with :30 remaining in the first quarter to close the deficit to 7-3. It was a career-long for Henriques as his previous long was 47 against Southern Miss last season. Henriques has attempted three total kicks of 50 or more yards this season, with this being his first make from that distance.