Oct. 22, 2011
Postgame Notes in PDF Format
Game Eight - at Tulane - October 22, 2011 - New Orleans, La.
TEAM GAME NOTES
- Captains for Memphis were offensive lineman Ronald Leary, defensive lineman Dasmine Cathey and safety Cannon Smith.
- Memphis has beaten Tulane in six-straight contests and seven of the last eight encounters.
- The 33 points are the most scored by Memphis since scoring 35 in a 35-20 win at home against UTEP in 2009.
- With his 12-yard catch in the first quarter, senior receiver Tannar Rehrer extended his receiving streak to 12 games, dating back to the Tennessee game last season. He has caught at least one pass in 19 of his 20 career games with the Tigers.
- Sophomore tight end Justin Henderson put the Tigers on the board first with a two-yard touchdown catch with 5:00 remaining in the first quarter. It was Henderson's first catch of the 2011 season. He caught the TD on his third career reception. The touchdown pass was the seventh for true freshman Taylor Reed.
- Justin Henderson logged a career-long 38-yard reception in the second quarter. His previous high was a six-yard catch versus UCF in 2010. Henderson ended the day with two catches for 40 yards and a score.
- Tannar Rehrer registered a 19-yard touchdown with 9:46 remaining in the second quarter. It was Rehrer's third TD catch this season and the third of his career. The TD pass was the eighth for Taylor Reed.
- This is the second time in his short career that Taylor Reed has thrown multiple touchdowns in a single game. The other was earlier this season versus Austin Peay.
- Taylor Reed scored on a QB keeper for one yard with just under five minutes remaining in the third quarter. It was Reed's second rushing touchdown. His other was against Middle Tennessee.
- Taylor Reed threw for 213 yards in today's game to mark his third career game to pass for more than 200 yards in a game. His others were versus MTSU (230) and Austin Peay (332). He completed 14-of-26 passes and tossed two touchdowns.
- Tannar Rehrer caught five passes for 57 yards in today's game. He has registered at least five receptions in six of the last seven games.
- Billy Foster took a reverse for 22 yards and a touchdown with 6:55 remaining in the fourth quarter. It is his fourth rushing TD of the season and fifth overall touchdown. Foster led the team in rushing with 58 yards and a score on 15 attempts. He also led in receiving yards with 58 yards on three catches. Foster finished with 115 all-purpose yards in the game.
True freshman Bobby McCain intercepted Ryan Griffin at the Memphis 21 with just under nine minutes remaining in the third quarter. He raced 79 yards for the touchdown. It was the second defensive TD the Tigers had scored this season as Martin Ifedi scored on a fumble recovery last weekend against East Carolina. This is the first interception returned for a touchdown since 2003 against Louisville (Eric Taylor 52-yard return). The PAT by Paulo Henriques was blocked.
Linebacker Kenyata Johnson logged his first career interception when he picked off Ryan Griffin at the Tulane 35 in the third quarter. He made an 11-yard return on the pick. The Tigers tossed an interception on the first play of the following drive.
The Memphis defense has recorded a takeaway in each of the eight games of the season. Memphis came into the game ranked tied for 13th nationally with 16 turnovers gained. The Tigers have registered an interception in all but the Mississippi State and East Carolina games. Memphis had three takeaways in the game with two interceptions and a fumble recovery. They have recovered a fumble in all but the Middle Tennessee contest this year.
This is the third game this season that Memphis has logged multiple interceptions. The others were against Austin Peay and Rice.
Frank Trotter registered one TFL for one yard in today's game. The TFL gives Trotter 31 for his career and moves him to a tie for eighth in school history in career TFLs. He is tied with Derrick Ballard, who logged 31 TFL from 2000-03.
Zach Golson forced his second fumble of the season late in the fourth quarter on a pass completion to Xavier Rush. Kenyata Johnson recovered the fumble and returned it 10 yards to the Memphis 13. It is the first career fumble recovery for Johnson who also had an interception in the game.
Terrence Thomas led Memphis in tackles with a career high 14, including nine solo stops. It is the fourth game he has led the team in tackles and third time this season he has had double digit stops. He has recorded double digit tackles in four career games.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
Tom Hornsey booted a career-best 66-yard punt in the first quarter. His previous high was a 64 yarder against Mississippi State this year. Hornsey has registered 30 career punts of 50 or more yards and 13 this season.
Paulo Henriques missed a 39-yard field goal at the end of the first half for his first miss from under 40 yards in his career. He was 13-of-13 from under 40 yards out coming into the game. Henriques also had a PAT blocked in today's game and had another attempt PAT miss.
Ricky Holloway blocked Tulane's punt in the third quarter.Kendrick Golden recovered the ball and made an eight-yard return to the Tulane 7. Memphis scored on the ensuing drive off a one-yard run by QB Taylor Reed. The last time Memphis blocked a punt was 2009 against UAB.