Men's Soccer Survives Slow Start, Defeats Vanderbilt 3-1 In Exhibition Opener
Go Tigers!
Go Tigers!

Go Tigers!

Aug. 23, 2003

Box Score

MEMPHIS, Tenn.-- - After giving up an early score, Memphis scored a pair of goals in just 47 seconds and later added another to defeat Vanderbilt, 3-1, in the Tigers exhibition opener Saturday at the Mike Rose Soccer Complex.

Just two minutes in, Commodore midfielder Drew Ducker put VU ahead, 1-0 when he settled a cross from Kyle Lapkewych and knocked home the goal.

However, that was all the Tiger defense would allow as it settled down to hold Vanderbilt to just six shots the remainder of the game.

Memphis knotted the contest at 1-1 in the 38th minute after sophomore Dayton O'Brien blasted a free kick to the back of the net from just outside the 18-yard box.

Omar Jarun scored the gamewinner just 47 seconds later on a breakaway goal, when he took a through-ball from reserve forward, Reid Greenslade and beat the VU keeper with a shot inside the left post for a 2-1.

Junior left-winger John Reilly scored the Tiger's final goal of the night, for the final 3-1 tally, on an assist from Peter Cummings.

In his first action in the blue and gray, Sebastian Vecchio recorded the win for Memphis, who outshot Vanderbilt 11-7 in the contest. Commodore goalie, Jamie Burns took the loss in goal.

"Disappointed in the way we started the game, but it is a great credit to the players to regroup after the slow start," said head coach Richie Grant. "I thought we were excellent in the final 30 minutes of the first half and won the game in that period of time," he added. "We did not capitalize on the man advantage in the second half. This game leaves us knowing that have a lot more work to do." Grant concluded.



Memphis will return to action in the final test before regular begins when they host crosstown rival Christian Brothers on Tues., Aug. 26 at Echles Field on the U of M campus. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist