Tigers Claw Bruins in 2OT
Go Tigers! Chandler Gagnon gave Memphis its first win of the season with a goal in the 106th minute.
Go Tigers!
Chandler Gagnon gave Memphis its first win of the season with a goal in the 106th minute.
Go Tigers!

Box Score

Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -

Box Score

The Memphis men's soccer team defeated the Belmont Bruins 2-1 in a thrilling double overtime game Monday night at the Mike Rose Soccer Complex.

In their first double overtime game since last year's Sept. 18 2-1 loss to Evansville, sophomore Chandler Gagnon gave the Tigers their first win of the season with a bicycle kick in the 106th minute from 10 yards away, his second of the season.

A physical match developed early between the Tigers and Bruins with 19 fouls called during the first half. On the night, Belmont committed 21 fouls compared to Memphis' 10. The Tigers owned a 21-10 shot advantage and a 12-2 lead in corner kicks, including three in the double overtime period.

Memphis had a chance early as a header by sophomore Benji Ciosanski went just over the goal in the 5th minute. The Tigers took the lead in the 23rd minute from a penalty kick by redshirt junior Mark Sherrod for his second goal of the season. Later in the period, J.J. Greer's header in the 20th minute hit the crossbar and went over the goal, preventing the Tigers from going up 2-0.

In the 28th minute, Belmont goalkeeper Lou Manning made a crucial save to prevent another Memphis goal as sophomore Lewis Ellis sent a shot from 22 yards out. With less than 10 minutes left in the half, freshman Simon Estornel sent a shot just wide from 28 yards and at the half, Memphis owned a 7-1 advantage in shots.

Belmont tied the game in the 54th minute with an unassisted shot by Brandon Tarr from 15 yards out, getting past the Tiger goalkeeper inside the right post. Defense for both teams picked up in the second half, until the final minutes when Sherrod sent one just over the goal. Belmont came close to taking a lead in the 88th minute, but the shot hit the left post and trickled wide.

In the second overtime, senior Andreas Guentner gave Memphis a chance at the win with a shot that was headed right under the crossbar, but was saved by Manning, his third save of the night. Memphis continued to attack during the period with three corner kicks in less than one minute leading to Gagnon's game-winner.

Next up for the Tigers is a four-game road trip with stops to Greenville, S.C. and Birmingham, Ala. The U of M will face the College of Charleston, Friday at 4:30 p.m. (ET) in Greenville. Memphis' next home game will take place Saturday, Sept. 22 against Drake at 7 p.m. at Mike Rose Soccer Complex.



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist