Tigers Drop C-USA Opener to Marshall in Overtime, 1-0
Go Tigers! Junior Mark Sherrod led the Tigers with three shots on goal.
Go Tigers!
Junior Mark Sherrod led the Tigers with three shots on goal.
Go Tigers!

Sept. 26, 2012

Box Score

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Memphis men's soccer team (3-4-1) lost a hard-fought battle against Marshall (7-0-1) on Wednesday night at the Mike Rose Soccer Complex as the Tigers fell, 1-0, in the 94th minute.

The Tigers controlled the ball early with redshirt-junior forward Mark Sherrod attempting two shots in the first 15 minutes of the game. In the 19th minute, the Thundering Herd's first chance of offense came when forward Andrew Ferguson was awarded a free kick, but cleared away by junior keeper Conor Hurley.

In the 26th minute, Sherrod took his third attempt of the game, a header towards the right post. Two minutes later, sophomore forward Benjamin Ciosanki had the Tigers' third header attempt of the game with a shot towards the left side.

At the end of the first half, the Tigers owned an advantage in shots (6-0), four on goal, and corner kicks (4-1). Marshall was held to no shots in the half, the first time Memphis limited opponents to such since Nebraska-Omaha had no first half shots on October 11 last season.

In the opening minutes of the second half, senior midfielder Dennis Kennetz, Jr. drove a liner towards the right post, but was batted away by Marshall keeper Daniel Withrow. In the 55th minute, junior midfielder Shane Keely attacked for the Tigers again with a shot that hit the crossbar, keeping the game scoreless.

In the 64th minute, Marshall had its first shot of the game with a kick by Jahvon Allison, which was blocked by the Memphis wall on a free kick. In the 75th minute, the Thundering Herd missed a chance to get on the board after a free kick by Tom Jackson, resulting from a red card by senior defender Andreas Guentner.



In the 82nd minute, Sherrod's eighth shot of the game hit the right post while Keely sent his second shot of the game wide right a minute later, sending the game into overtime.

In the 94th minute, with Hurley out of the net, Marshall's Jack Hopkins ended the game with a shot from 8 yards out on the left side. Allison slipped the ball past the Tigers defense, and Hopkins finished with the golden goal.

The Tigers held an advantage in shots (16-7) and corner kicks (7-4). Sherrod finished the game with three shots on goal and one each by Kennetz and Ciosanski.

Memphis hits the road to face Kentucky on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist