UCF Edges Past @UMTigerSoccer 1-0
Go Tigers!
Go Tigers!

Go Tigers!

Oct. 9, 2013


UCF 1 Memphis 0 Get Acrobat Reader

R. Gonzalez

ORLANDO, Fla. - Romario Williams scored from a free-kick at the beginning of the second half to lead UCF (4-4-3, 2-1-1) to a 1-0 victory over Memphis (7-4-1, 2-2-0) in Orlando, Fla. on Wednesday night.

Williams scored his sixth goal of the season from just outside of the box in the 49th minute. The ball curved into the corner away from Memphis goalkeeper Cody Uzcategui.

Uzcategui finished with three saves in the match.

Memphis controlled most of the possession in the early stages of the game. In the fourth minute, Liam Collins got the first shot on goal for either team, forcing a save from UCF goalie Sebastian Evers.

Mark Sherrod tallied the next two shots of the contest, forcing another save from Evers in the 13th minute.

Uzcategui was called into action in the 16th minute. The Knights were awarded a free kick just outside of the box. Williams took this one as well, but Uzcategui was able to dive to his right and push the ball wide of the post.

Memphis had another great chance late in the first half. Fakhry Khulfan gained possession of the ball, and made a strong run towards the edge of the box and was fouled. Shane Keely put the ensuing free kick just wide, keeping the game scoreless into halftime.

The Williams' goal for UCF in the 49th minute was the first major chance of the half for either team. The free kick was put in a perfect spot, and gave the Knights a one-goal advantage.

Memphis was quick to respond, and had several scoring chances throughout the second half.

Perhaps the best chance of the game for the Tigers came in the 57th minute. Evers made a diving save on a free kick from Keely, but pushed the rebound into the path of Spencer Moeller. Moeller's attempt was cleared off the line by UCF defenders just inches before crossing into the goal.

The Tigers had two more chances in the last ten minutes of the game as they looked for an equalizer.

In the 85th minute, Raul Gonzalez got free on the left side of the box and delivered an incredible strike that struck the post and bounced away from the goal. The shot was past Evers and moving away from the UCF keeper, but struck the far post and went wide.

One minute later, Sherrod got free in the box and his shot forced a diving save by Evers that kept the Tigers off of the scoreboard.

The Tigers finished the game with five shots on goal, and Sherrod led the team with two shots on target.

Memphis returns to action on Saturday night in Storrs, Conn. against the UConn Huskies. Kickoff at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium is scheduled for 6 p.m.



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist