No. 15 UConn Defeats UMTigerSoccer 3-0
Go Tigers!
Go Tigers!

Go Tigers!

Oct. 12, 2013

Box Score

Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader


STORRS, Conn. - The No. 15 UConn Huskies (5-2-4, 2-0-3) defeated the University of Memphis men's soccer team 3-0 at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium on Saturday night.

With the loss, Memphis falls to 7-5-1 and 2-3-0 in American Athletic Conference play.

UConn scored one goal in the first half in and two goals after halftime to put the game away.  Junior Allando Matheson scored in the 25th minute to give UConn the lead. Freshman Cyle Larin extended to the lead to 2-0 in the 71st minute, before Matheson added a second in the 80th minute to cap off the scoring.

UConn outshot Memphis 17-2 in the game. Memphis goalie Cody Uzcategui made three saves in the contest.

The game was back and forth in the early stages, as each team looked to gain an advantage early on.

The first chance for either team came in the 15th minute. Larin was able to get his head on a cross, but Uzcategui was able make a great save by pushing the ball over the crossbar.

Connecticut broke through 10 minutes later to take a 1-0 lead. UConn midfielder Adria Beso took control of the ball in the midfield and fed a pass to Matheson as he was streaking toward the box. Matheson was able to finish into the bottom right corner to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead.

Memphis got their first chance of the game just one minute later. After a UConn foul outside of the box, Shane Keely put the ensuing free kick wide of the goal.

Matheson had another chance in the 29th minute, but hit the post on a curling shot on goal, keeping the lead at 1-0 for UConn.

UConn kept the 1-0 lead into halftime, and outshot the Tigers 10-1 in the first half.

Memphis turned up the pressure in the second half as the Tigers searched for the equalizer. Memphis was able to push the ball forward with Keely, Liam Collins and Raul Gonzalez in the midfield. As a result, Memphis earned four corner kicks in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

In the 63rd minute, UConn cleared a free kick out of bounds, but that clearance gave Memphis a corner kick.  Liam Collins delivered a good ball into the box, but the UConn defense did well to clear the danger.

The Huskies added a second goal against the run of play in the 71st minute. After a turnover by the Memphis defense in the midfield, Larin took control of the ball and was able to finish past Uzcategui. The Memphis goalie dove and got a fingertip on the shot by Larin, but the ball found the back of the net.

Matheson capped off the scoring with his second goal of the game in the 80th minute, heading in a cross from Beso to give the Huskies a 3-0 advantage.

Memphis hosts UCA in a non-conference match this Wednesday night at Mike Rose Soccer Complex. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT, and admission is FREE for all fans.



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist