Men's Soccer Set for Battle in the Blue Grass State
Sept. 29, 2012
LEXINGTON, Ky.-Memphis (3-4-1, 0-1-0) travels to Kentucky (5-4-0, 0-0-0) for its second Conference USA showdown, on Sunday, with kickoff set for 1:30 p.m. (CT). This will be the 11th meeting between Tigers and Wildcats with the series knotted at 4-4-2 all-time.
In their last meeting, Memphis picked-up the win 2-0 at Mike Rose Soccer Stadium. Wil Linder and Mark Sherrod notch the two goals in the Tigers victory, with Linder’s goal in the 73rd-minute being the game-winner.
Scouting the Wildcats
• The Wildcats carry an overall record of 5-4-0, with wins over St. Joseph’s, No. 18 Louisville, East Tenn. State, Evansville and IPFW.
• Sunday’s game with the Tigers will be Kentucky’s first conference game of the season.
• Kentucky has played four top-25 ranked opponents this season with a record of 1-3 in those matches.
• Head coach Johan Cedergren is in his first season with the Wildcats. Prior to Kentucky, Cedergren had a successful five-year stint as an assistant coach at Dartmouth.
• Kentucky is an affiliate member of C-USA in men’s soccer. In 2011, the Wildcats were 9-2-2 overall, with a record of 2-5-1 in league play.
•Tyler Riggs leads the Wildcats in goals (5), assists (3) and points (13).
•Through seven games goalkeepers Jack Van Arsdale and Callum Irving have allowed a combined 11 goals and carry a combined goals-against average of 1.21, with 28 combined saves.
•The last time out Memphis fell 1-0 in overtime to conference foe Marshall.
•Wednesday’s game with Marshall marked the fourth overtime game the Tigers have played this season.
•Through eight game goalkeeper Conor Hurley has allowed 11 goals and carries a goals-against average of 1.33.
The Tigers wrap up their non-conference schedule with games against Missouri State and UCA. Memphis travels to Springfield, Mo. to face the Bears Wednesday, October 3, at 7 p.m. (CT). The Tigers then return home to face UCA on Tuesday, October 9, at 7 p.m. (CT).
Make sure you follow Memphis Men’s Soccer on Facebook (facebook.com/MemphisSoccer) and on Twitter (@UMTigerSoccer) for updates during the games and throughout the season.