Tigers Hit the Road for Bout with Bears
SPRINGFIELD, Mo.- The University of Memphis men's soccer team travels to Missouri State for a non-conference showdown Wednesday, October 3, at 7 p.m. This will be the 11th meeting between the Tigers and Bears with Memphis leading the series 5-4-1 all-time.
In 2011, Memphis defeated the Bears at home 1-0, giving head coach Richie Grant 110th-career win. Mark Sherrod knocked in the game winning goal in the 72nd-minute, beating the goalkeeper to the lower left corner of the frame.
Scouting the Bears
• Missouri State comes into the match up with a record of 4-2-3, with wins over UMKC, Oral Roberts, Lipscomb and Eastern Illinois.
• Head coach Jon Leamy carries an all-time record of 208-147-41 in 21 season at the helm for the Bears.
• Missouri State plays in the Missouri Valley Conference and finished the 2011 season 9-8-2 overall record and a 5-1-0 record in league play tied for first place in the regular season and finishing runner-up in the conference tournament.
• Cole Alexander leads the Bears in goals (3) and points (6), with Jared Gain leading in assists (3)
Through nine games, goalkeeper Andrew Riggs has allowed five goals and carries a goals-against-average of .51.
• Last time out the Tigers battled conference foe Kentucky to a 2-2 double-overtime draw. It was the fifth time this season that Memphis has played in an overtime game.
• Mark Sherrod leads the team in goals (5) and points (13).
• Liam Collins leads the team in assists (4).
• Through nine games, goalkeeper Conor Hurley has allowed 13 goals and carries a goals-against-average of 1.37 with two shutouts and 20 saves.
• So far this season, Memphis is 3-3-1 against non-conference opponents, and 0-1 in games played on Wednesday.
• Head coach Richie Grant carries an all-time record of 15-13-3 against teams from the Missouri Valley Conference, and a 2-2 record against Missouri State all-time.
This season the Tigers are 3-1-2 when they score first. They also carry the same record when leading at the half.
Liam Collins currently leads the team in assists with four. The Ireland native, sits third all-time in the program's history with 21 career assists, behind Donal McDonagh and Rogerio Lima who are tied for second with 22.
In the Tigers' season opening loss to Wisconsin, Collins recorded two assist. This was the fifth time in the sophomore's career to record a multiple-assist game and his first since playing Nebraska-Omaha (3) in 2011. Last season the Tigers-midfielder led C-USA and was fourth in the nation in assists (11) and assists per game (0.61).
The Tigers wrap-up their non-conference schedule at home against UCA on Wednesday, October 9, with kickoff set for 7 p.m. (CT). On Saturday, October 13, Memphis resumes league play against Tulsa at home with kickoff set for 7 p.m. (CT).
Make sure you follow Memphis Men's Soccer on Facebook (facebook.com/MemphisSoccer) and on Twitter (@UMTigerSoccer) for updates during the games and throughout the season.