Tigers Set for C-USA Showdown with Tulsa
Oct. 12, 2012
MEMPHIS, Tenn.-Memphis (4-5-2, 0-1-1) hosts Tulsa (8-4-0, 2-1-0) in a Conference USA showdown, Saturday, at Mike Rose Stadium with kickoff set for 7 p.m. (CT). This will be the 10th meeting between the two schools with the Tigers leading the all-time series 4-3-2.
In the last meeting between the two, the Tigers picked up the win 3-0 at Tulsa. Mark Sherrod scored three goals in the game, notching his second of two hat-tricks during the 2011 campaign.
Scouting the Golden Hurricanes
• Tulsa comes into the match with eight overall wins and two wins in league play against South Carolina and Marshall.
• Head Coach Tom McIntosh is in his 18th-season at the helm for the Golden Hurricanes. McIntosh has a career record of 192-131-28 at Tulsa.
• Tulsa returns 13 letterwinners and eight starters from a squad that finished the 2011 campaign 5-12 overall and 1-7 in league play.
• Cristian Mata leads Tulsa in goals (9) and points (22). Mata and Stephen Roberson are tied for the team lead in assists (4).
• The Golden Hurricanes have four players with at least four goals or more.
• Through 12 games goalkeeper Mark Pais has allowed 14 goals, with 43 saves. Pais carries a goals-against-average of 1.17.
• The last time out Tulsa had five different players score goals in the Golden Hurricane's 5-2 win over Nebraska-Omaha.
• Last time out Memphis defeated UCA 1-0 on Simon Estornel's game winning goal in the 84th-minute. Tigers-goalkeeper Conor Hurley recorded his third shutout of the 2012 season in the hard fought victory.
• Head coach Richie Grant carries an all-time record of 2-3-2 against the Golden Hurricanes.
• Mark Sherrod leads the Tigers in goals (5) and points (13).
• Liam Collins leads the team in assists (4).
• Through 11 games, Goalkeeper Conor Hurley has allowed 14 goals with 21 saves. Hurley currently carries a goals against average of 1.21.
On Saturday, October 20, Memphis continues league play at South Carolina at home with kickoff set for 6 p.m. (CT). The Tigers then travel to Orlando, Fla. for a league bout with UCF on Wednesday, October 24, at 6 p.m. (CT).
Make sure you follow Memphis Men's Soccer on Facebook (facebook.com/MemphisSoccer) and on Twitter (@UMTigerSoccer) for updates during the games and throughout the season.