Memphis Readies for C-USA Showdown with Knights
Oct. 23, 2012
ORLANDO, Fla. - Memphis (5-5-3, 1-1-2 C-USA) travels to UCF (5-5-3, 2-2-0 C-USA) for its fifth Conference USA match of 2012, on Wednesday, with kickoff slated for 6 p.m. (CT). This will be the 12th time the two programs have met on the pitch with the all-time series knotted at 5-5-1.
Last season, the Tigers faced the Knights twice in the once in the regular season and once in the post season. In the first meeting, Memphis defeated No. 9 UCF at home 2-1 behind a pair of Mark Sherrod goal. Weeks later, Memphis and UCF squared off in the first round of the 2011 C-USA Men's Soccer Tournament, with the Knights picking up the win 4-3 in overtime.
Scouting the Knights
• UCF carries a 2-2-0 record in league play with wins over FIU and No. 17 SMU. The Knights' two losses came at the hands of South Carolina and Tulsa.
• Head coach Bryan Cunningham is in his sixth season at the helm for the Knights with an overall record of 46-46-15.
• The Knights return seven starts and 11 letterwinners from a squad that finished 2011 12-6-3 overall and 4-3-1 in league play. UCF reached the second round of the 2011 NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament.
• Deshorn Brown leads the Knights in goals (8) and points (18).
• Omar Vallejo leads the Knights in assists (4).
• In 11 games this season, UCF goalkeeper Sebastian Evers has allowed 13 goals with 40 saves. Evers carries a goals-against-average of 1.12.
• Last time out Memphis defeated South Carolina 2-1, took pick up its first league win. Liam Collins recorded a goal and an assist in the victory.
• Mark Sherrod leads the Tigers in goals (8) and points (19).
• Liam Collins leads Memphis in assists (6).
• Goalkeeper Conor Hurley has allowed 17 goals with 27 saves through 13 games. Hurley carries a goals- against-average of 1.23.
Collins No. 2 All-Time
Liam Collins notched his sixth assist of the season in Memphis' 2-1 win over South Carolina. The Ireland native, is now second all-time in the program's history with 23 career assist, moving ahead of Donal McDonagh and Rogerio Lima with 22.
Memphis travels to FIU on Saturday, October 27, with kickoff slated for 12 p.m. (CT). The Tigers then return home to Mike Rose Stadium Wednesday, October 31, for a match against UAB at 7 p.m. (CT).
Make sure you follow Memphis Men's Soccer on Facebook (facebook.com/MemphisSoccer) and on Twitter (@UMTigerSoccer) for updates during the games and throughout the season.