U of M Earns Draw With No. 24 Kentucky
Go Tigers! Michael Goodlett records fourth shutout of the season for the U of M
Go Tigers!
Michael Goodlett records fourth shutout of the season for the U of M
Go Tigers!

Memphis vs. Kentucky Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

Nov. 7, 2008

LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Memphis Tigers played the No. 24 Kentucky to a 0-0 draw on Friday night at the UK Soccer Complex in Lexington, Ky. With the tie Memphis finishes the regular season with a 6-10-2 record. The Tigers ended the conference slate with a 3-4-1 mark and in a tie with South Carolina and UCF for third place. The Wildcats of Kentucky end the regular season with a 10-4-4 record. Kentucky finished 2008 in second place in C-USA. The Wildcats were 6-1-1 in the C-USA.

"I thought our back four was very good tonight," said Memphis head coach Richie Grant. "We really had a solid back four and a goalkeeper in the game. I thought it was a great last game of the season for us. We are looking forward to the conference tournament and finding some success there."

Memphis entered Friday night's game with a 3-4 mark in Conference USA on the season and the possibility of finishing anywhere from third in the conference to seventh in the conference.

Kentucky's Barry Rice, a defender from Parma, Ohio, attempted a header that went wide of the Memphis goal in the fourth minute of the contest. Rice was a first team all-conference selection and the C-USA's Defensive Player of the Year in 2007.

The Wildcats would have another attempt in the 24th minute when Marcos does Santos, who has four goals and four assists on the season, shot the ball high.

Memphis' first shot attempt came at the 35 minute mark on a Sean Goulding shot that went wide. Goulding had one goal and five assists coming into the game.

Kentucky's last shot of the first period occured in the final minute of the half on a second Rice header. The shot went wide of the goal.

The U of M had one shot to Kentucky's three shots in the first period. Both teams had three corners in the first half.

Goulding took his second shot of the game in the 50th minute. The ball was saved by UK goalie Dan Williams. It was the first shot on goal for the Tigers.

Memphis would follow Goulding's shot with two shots on goal. Senior midfielder Tripp Harkins' shot in the 56th minure went wide of the goal. In the 62nd minute, Memphis freshman Parker Duncan, who had six goals in the last seven games coming into Friday's match, attempted a header which was saved by Kentucky's goalkeeper Williams.

In the 67th minute, the Wildcats had two back to back shots, which were both saved by Memphis goalkeeper Michael Goodlett.

Kentucky had another chance in the 74th minute when Rice took another shot. The ball was saved by Goodlett for his third save of the game.

In the 75th minute, Kentucky's Tim Crone attempted a shot which resulted in Goodlett's fourth save of the game.

Goodlett's fifth save came in the 81st minute on Sam Vernalis' second shot on goal.

Regulation would end with a 0-0 tie between the Memphis Tigers and the Kentucky Wildcats.

Kentucky had nine shots to Memphis' three shots in the second half. Goodlett finished the half with five saves for the Tigers, while Kentucky's Williams had two saves. Vernalis led the way for the Wildcats in the second half with two shots on goal.

In the first overtime period, The U of M had two shots to Kentucky's one shot.

The game moved to a second overtime period, still notched at 0-0.

The only shot of the second overtime was on Robert Sausaman's header that went wide of the goal.

The game ended in 0-0 tie, the second tie for the Tigers in 2004. Memphis and SIU-Edwardsville tied on Oct. 22. The overtime game was Memphis' fifth of 2008. The Tigers are 1-2-2 in overtime games this season.

Memphis' goalie Goodlett earned the tie in goal, the junior is now 6-9-2 on the year. The shutout was Goodlett's fourth shutout of the season. Goodlett also shutouts against SIU-Edwardsville, Missouri State and South Carolina. Friday night's shutouts came against the nations's 18th-ranked scoring offense. Kentucky was averaging 2.06 goals a game coming into tonight's match. Goodlett finished the game with five saves.

The Tigers will next head to the Conference USA Tournament in Dallas, Texas at Westcott Field on the campus of Southern Methodist University from Nov. 12-16



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist