No. 53 Memphis Rolls Past UNA, Rhodes
Feb. 19, 2011
MEMPHIS, Tenn.--The 53rd-ranked Memphis Tigers swept North Alabama (0-3) and Rhodes (2-1) in two 7-0 decisions to kick off the outdoor part of the 2011 slate in the Bluff City.
The Tigers (6-2, 0-1 C-USA) switched around the lineup slightly for Saturday's matches at Rhodes College. Senior Jordan Smith and junior David Henry were 2-0 on the day at No. 1 doubles, winning by an 8-4 score against both their UNA and Rhodes opponents. The duo is now 6-2 overall this season.
Redshirt sophomore K.C. Griffin and junior transfer Daniel Shidler saw their first bit of action this season. Griffin downed Rob Koehler of Rhodes 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6 singles, while Shidler teamed up with freshman David O'Hare at the No. 2 slot to down Morgan Slevin and Brad Pennington of Rhodes, 8-2.
O'Hare also made his debut at No. 1 singles for the Tigers. He compiled two victories with a 7-5, 6-4 win over UNA's Merlin Witt, follwed by a 6-4, 6-3 defeat of Ryley Erhardt of Rhodes, 6-4, 6-3.
Up next for the Tigers is trip to Greenville, N.C., where it will face The Citadel on Saturday, Feb. 26, at 1:30 p.m. ET and Conference USA foe East Carolina slated for Sunday, the 27th at noon.
#53 Memphis 7, North Alabama 0
#53 Memphis 7, Rhodes 0
1. O'Hare (MEM) def. Erhardt (RHO) 6-4, 6-3
2. Nasemann (MEM) def. Slevin (RHO) 6-1, 6-4
3. Henry (MEM) def. Lucas (RHO) 6-1, 6-1
4. Grimal (MEM) def. Phelps (RHO) 6-0, 6-3
5. Taylor (MEM) def. Simmons (RHO) 6-3, 6-2
6. Griffin (MEM) def. Koehler (RHO) 6-1, 6-0
1. Smith/ Henry (MEM) def. Erhardt/Phelps (RHO) 8-4
2. Shidler/O'Hare (MEM) def. Slevin/Pennington (RHO) 8-2
3. Nasemann/Taylor (MEM) def. Alexander/Lucas (RHO) 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (3,5,4*,2,6,1)