Tigers Fall in Final Seconds at Marshall, 55-54

Feb. 3, 2013

By The Numbers
22 NicoleDickson led the Tigers with 22 points and also pulled down a team high nine rebounds.
3 Pa'Sonna Hope made three of the U of M's five blocks.
5 Ariel Hearn led Memphis with five assists.

HUNTINGTON, W. Va. - - Suporia Dickens converted a jumper in the paint with 7.9 seconds left in the game to help Marshall regain a lead it had held until the 2:09 mark in the second half in a 55-54 Marshall (7-11, 1-4 C-USA) victory, Sunday. Memphis got the ball back with 7.9 seconds to go and Ariel Hearn drove the length of the floor at the rim, but instead of attempting the easy layup, tried a reverse layup that did not draw rim and could not be recovered by her teammates as the game clock wound down on Marshall's first C-USA victory of the season.

"Any one possession can make a difference in a road win, in any win," Head Coach Melissa McFerrin said. "Those little things are what makes the differences in wins on the road, when you're too tired to move your feet on defense and reach instead, when you miss a free-throw, when you miss a layup, all those little things add up."

It was a slow start for the Tigers, who started without normal starters Ariel Hearn and team co-captain Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir for disciplinary reasons. Both rejoined the team in the first half, but by then, Marshall had gotten its offense and confidence powered up from beyond three-point range, where they hit seven first half triples to lead 30-22 at the break.

"I'm disappointed in this loss for a lot of reasons, but discipline is one of them," McFerrin said. "This late in the season, we should not have to deal with this stuff. But we have rules, and if you are late for the bus, late for the floor, don't take care of academic duties, there will be consequences. It's nothing huge, but it is stuff we have to take care of."

Senior Nicole Dickson tried to get her team fired up in the second half by scoring 13 of Memphis' first 15 points in second half. But Marshall called timeouts after two made field goals and switched defenses, employing a 2-3 zone that slowed the Tigers down. With Dickson on the bench getting a breather leading into the under eight minute media timeout, Marshall stretched the lead to six at 49-43. Memphis then went on a 4-0 run thanks to a pair of free-throws from Hearn and a bucket inside from Ann Jones that pulled the Tigers to two down at 49-47. But the next 8:46, featured just five field goals between the two teams, as both teams tightened up with the game on the line.

Marshall used a layup from Erica Woods to go up 51-47. Jaymie Jackson answered back with a layin to make it 51-49 with 4:21 to play, but it appeared that Marshall had the game in hand, getting the ball and running down the play clock out of the under four minute media timeout.

But Dickson had one last shot in her, draining a three from the top of the key to cut the deficit to one at 53-52 with 2:22 remaining. Dickson, who was fouled on the made triple, missed the and-one free throw, but teammate Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir gave the Tigers their first lead of the day with a layup with 2:07 remaining, 54-53. Dickson had another chance to answer back, but fumbled the ball a bit off a dribble in a shot that hit, but was waived off as a shot clock violation.

Marshall then got the ball back and snuck through the Tigers' perimeter defense and post fed Suporia Dickens, who spun and shot over Nicole Dickson to hit the game winner with 7.9 seconds left on the clock. Hearn then made her full-court drive, but could not convert.

Dickson led Memphis with 22 points and nine rebounds. Weaver led Marshall, who knocked down 10 triples on the night, with 12 points, all coming from three-point range. Marshall out-rebounded Memphis 42-39, including 21 offensive rebounds.

Memphis will have its bye date on Thursday and will return to action at UCF, Sunday, Feb. 10, in Orlando. That game will be played at 2 p.m. (ET).



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist