Nov. 9, 2012
The fourth installment of our weekly, 10 questions series features Ashleigh Whisenant. In the first tournament of the fall, the sophomore from Attalla, Ala., who attended Etowah High School, matched her career-low round with a 76 at the Old Waverly Bulldog Invitational. She closed the fall season with her best tournament score at Memphis, 232 (77-78-77), at the FedEx Memphis Women’s Intercollegiate.
- Why did you choose Memphis?
I chose Memphis because of the great practice facilities and courses in the area. I felt that with those resources, Memphis was the best place for me to come and expand my golf game.
- What’s your favorite class at Memphis so far?
My favorite class at Memphis so far is Business Statistics. It sounds a bit nerdy, but I love numbers and stats.
- Other than golf, what sport would you be playing?
If I wasn't playing golf I'd without a doubt be playing basketball. I played varsity basketball all four years in high school and because of that I made some wonderful memories and great friends.
- What is the best golf advice you have received?
The best golf advice I ever received is to stay in the moment. Golf requires a great deal of patience and focus and staying in the moment helps eliminate dwelling on poor shots or thinking of possible outcomes.
- If you could play a round of golf with anyone, who would it be?
I would play with Jack Nicklaus, because he is the greatest golfer of all time.
- Who is your golf role model and why?
My golf role model is Annika Sorenstam, because I grew up watching her dominate the LPGA and she is part of the reason I fell in love with the game.
- If you were stranded on an island, what is one item you would take with you?
I'd bring sunscreen so I wouldn't get burnt while I was relaxing in the sun.
- If there was a team American Idol competition, who would win, why? Who would finish last, why?
Julia Hodgson would finish first because I feel like she would win over the audience and perform well in the spotlight. I would finish last because I am only a rock star in the shower where no one else can hear me.
- If you were an animal, what animal would you be and why?
I would be a dog because I have two dogs back home and they always bring a smile to my face with their playfulness.
- Do you have any pre-round superstitions? During round superstitions? What are they?
I don't really have any pre-round superstitions. However, I do use the same ball maker given to me by a close friend in every round.