Adamic's Goal Lifts @MemphisWSoccer Over SMU, 2-1
Go Tigers!
Go Tigers!

Go Tigers!

Oct. 10, 2013

Box Score

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Emily Adamic's goal in the 78th minute proved to be enough for the University of Memphis women's soccer team (8-5-0, 1-3-0) in a 2-1 victory Thursday night over SMU (7-6-0, 2-3-0) to earn them their first American Athletic Conference win in their conference home opener.

Memphis controlled the ball in the early going, getting the first shot of the game in the 10th minute with Sanderson putting a shot on goal off a free kick from Kaitlyn Atkins before getting it saved by keeper Lauryn Bodden.

In the 15th minute, SMU got its first shot off with Kelsey Gorney sending the ball wide right of the goal.

The Mustangs almost found the right corner off a kick from Courtney Smith in the 25th minute, but goalkeeper Maryse Bard-Martel was there to deflect it away.

Memphis had another look at the goal two minutes later with Nugene Nugent just inside the box, but her shot sailed high over the crossbar.

SMU took the lead in the 37th minute with a goal from Jessica Bartol, who found the net after a shot from Briana Gaines off a corner kick that was deflected off the hands of Bard-Martel.

Memphis almost equalized in the 40th minute as Kyle Davis crossed the ball in towards Christabel Oduro near the right side of the goal, but it went just out of reach for Oduro.

One minute later, the Lady Tigers evened up the match with a goal from Valerie Sanderson off a ball that hit the crossbar from Atkins' attempt. The goal was the freshman Sanderson's 10th of the season while Atkins was credited with her ninth assist.

Memphis put another shot on goal right before halftime with a hard-kicked shot from Atkins, but Bodden saved it to keep the game knotted up.

The Lady Tigers got two good looks in the opening minutes of the second half with Sanderson getting a shot blocked inside the box and Adamic sending a shot wide from the right side.

SMU had a chance to regain the lead in the 63rd minute after a Memphis foul occurred just outside the box. However, the Memphis defense blocked the free kick from Courtney Smith and another right after to end the threat from the Mustangs.

In the 72nd minute, Memphis had an opportunity for the lead, but a free kick from Atkins just outside the box went high.

The Lady Tigers capitalized on their next possession as a deflection in the 78th minute off a cross from Nugent found Adamic, who finished from the left side to push Memphis ahead 2-1.

The Mustangs threatened in the final minute, getting a shot from Taylor Jackson that was saved by Bard-Martel to give Memphis the 2-1 win.

Memphis returns home Sunday when the Lady Tigers host Houston at 1 p.m. (CT).



Rotating image
Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr FourSquare Pintrist