May 21, 2011
Box Score |
#2/3 Alabama 7, Memphis 1
May 21, 2011 at Rhoads Softball Field
NCAA Softball Regional
- Memphis falls to 30-2 when scoring first in 2011; the Tigers last loss after scoring the first runs came all the way back in the season’s second game, when Memphis’ three first-inning runs were not enough to keep DePaul from a 6-5 win at the FIU Combat Classic.
- While many Tiger bats were held silent, junior Jessica Phillips kept up her free-swinging ways, going 2-for-3 with two singles for her season’s 15th multi-hit game, and the 23rd in her career.
- Carly Hummel struck out four batters, giving her 404 for her career and breaking Jenna Kubesch’s career record for batters struck out.
- Alabama’s Whitney Larsen drove in five runs, tied for most by a Memphis individual opponent since DePaul’s Marla Matthews drove in five against the Tigers at the FIU Combat Classic, on Feb. 11.
- Memphis is now 2-2 this season against ranked opponents. The No. 3/4 Alabama team is the highest ranked opponent that the Tigers have faced since battling No. 3/2 Alabama in 2009. Memphis lost that game 7-2.