Feb. 6, 2014
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The University of Memphis softball team opens the 2014 season this weekend (Feb. 7-9) at the Troy Subway Invitational in Troy, Ala.
Memphis opens the 2014 campaign on Friday, Feb. 7, against Middle Tennessee at 1 p.m. The Tigers play two games on Saturday, facing Kennesaw State at 9:30 a.m. before squaring off against hosts Troy at 5 p.m. Memphis concludes play in the event on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. against North Florida.
The Last Meeting
|Middle Tennessee State||0
April 15, 2010
Hummel Shuts Out Blue Raiders in 6-0 Tiger Victory
The Memphis Tigers' bats came to life in game two of Thursday's doubleheader to aide Carly Hummel's two-hitter in a 6-0 shutout victory over Middle Tennessee at the Tiger Softball Complex in Memphis. With the win, the Tigers pick up a split of the doubleheader with the Blue Raiders.
The Last Meeting
February 21, 2009
The Last Meeting
February 11, 2011
Hummel's No-Hitter Gives Thees 300th Victory
Sophomore pitcher Carly Hummel tossed the sixth no-hitter in program history to lead the University of Memphis softball team to a 3-0 season-opening victory over North Florida at the FIU Combat Classic. With the win, head coach Windy Thees collected her 300th career victory.
Live stats, live video and a live blog will be available for all four games. More information about this weekend's event is also available here: http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2014/1/31/SB_0131140529.aspx.
The Tigers return 14 letterwinners and seven starters from last season's 24-36 squad. The team also welcomes seven newcomers in 2014, as Memphis looks to improve its win total for the third consecutive season under head coach Natalie Poole.
Memphis Schedule-Troy Subway Invitational
Friday, Feb. 7: Memphis vs. Middle Tennessee 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 8: Memphis vs. Kenesaw State 9:30 a.m.
Saturday, Feb. 8: Memphis at Troy 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 9: Memphis vs. North Florida 9:30 a.m.
Memphis in Season Openers
- The Memphis softball program holds an all-time record of 4-4 in season-opening games. The Tigers have played seven of those contests on the road, and started the season at home, against Wichita State, in 2010.
- Last season, Memphis lost a 6-2 game to North Texas on Feb. 8, 2013 in the first game of the Texas Classic in Austin, Texas.
- Memphis has outscored its opponents 45-31 in season openers. - The Tigers are 0-2 in season openers under head coach Natalie Poole
- Memphis has thrown one no-hitter in the season opener. Carly Hummel no-hit North Florida 3-0 in the season opener in 2011 in Miami, Fla.
- The Tigers have thrown two no-hitters in the opening weekend. Jenna Kubesch no-hit Middle Tennessee 1-0 in Baton Rouge in the 2007 opening weekend.
Memphis vs Troy Subway Invitational Opponents
- Memphis is 10-3 all-time against the opponents it will face in the Troy Subway Invitational.
- The Tigers are 7-2 vs Middle Tennessee, 1-0 vs Kennesaw State and 2-1 vs North Florida.
- The Tigers will face Troy for the first time in the program's history.
Starting the Season Neutral
- Memphis will start the season at a neutral site event for the 8th time in program history. Memphis holds a 16-17 overall record in these opening weekend events.
- 2006 (Louisiana Classic in Lafayette, La.): 3-1 record
- 2007 (Easton Tiger Classic in Baton Rouge, La.): 4-2 record
- 2008 (USF Wilson Invitational in Tampa, Fla.): 2-3 record
- 2009 (South Alabama Invitational in Mobile, Ala.): 1-3 record
- 2011 (FIU Combat Classic in Miami, Fla.): 3-2 record
- 2012 (Mardi Gras Invitational in Mobile, Ala.): 2-2 record
- 2013 (Texas Classic in Austin, Texas): 1-4 record
Memphis on the Road
- Memphis will play in four neutral-site events and host the Blues City Classic in Southaven, Miss. to begin the 2014 season.
- After this weekend, Memphis travels to Lafayette, La. and will participate in the Ragin' Cajuns Invitational from Feb. 14-16.
- Memphis hosts the seventh annual Blues City Classic Feb. 21-23 in Southaven, Miss. before going back on the road.
- Memphis travels south for the Mississippi Gulf Coast Classic in Gulfport, Miss from Feb. 28-Mar. 2., before traveling to Florida for the Stetson Classic in Deland, Fla. Mar. 7-9.
- The Tigers play their first game at Tiger Softball Complex on Mar. 12 against Jackson State.
Consistency in the Circle
- Pitchers Ellen Roberts and Jordan Richwood, the top two Memphis pitchers in 2013, both return for the 2014 season.
- Last season, Roberts set a school record for appearances with 49, and now ranks third in program history in wins with 29.
- Roberts ranks first in program history in both games started (70) and saves (five).
- Richwood currently sits in second place in school history in strikeouts per seven innings (7.54) and is third in opponents' batting average against (.233).
Harrell Returns After All-Conference Season
- Sophomore outfielder Hannah Harrell returns after earning All-Conference USA Freshman Team honors last season.
- In 2013, the Ashland, Miss., native hit .419 (13-for-31) in conference action.
Lindahl a Record Setter
- Senior catcher Amber Lindahl enters the 2014 season having thrown out a school-record 49 runners.
- In 2013, Lindahl set a school record for a second consecutive year by throwing out 25 base runners.