March 6, 2014
|| Memphis (8-8, 0-0 The American) - Stetson Classic
||Friday-Sunday, March 7-9 | Patricia Wilson Field/DeLand, Fla.
Memphis Week Five Game Notes
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The University of Memphis softball team closes out non-conference tournament play this weekend at the Stetson Classic at Patricia Wilson Field in DeLand, Fla.
Memphis enters this weekend with a record of 8-8 after finishing with one win and three losses at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Classic in Gulfport, Miss. last weekend. The Tigers lost the three games by a combined total of four runs. Memphis lost to Texas State 2-0, Mississippi State 3-2 and No. 24 Louisiana by a score of 3-2 as well.
In the loss to the Bulldogs, Memphis put up the most runs and the most hits that Mississippi State has allowed in a single game this season.
Memphis did pick up an 8-2 win over Nicholls on Mar. 1, finishing the contest with 11 hits. Sophomore Cierra Mangum finished that game 3-for-4 with two runs batted in. Freshman shortstop Brittany Vaughn continues to produce offensively for Memphis. Vaughn has reached base in all 16 games this season, a mark that ranks as the fifth-longest streak in program history.
The Bowling Green, Ky. native is hitting .349 (15-for-43), which is second on the team behind fellow freshman Lindsay Crowdus. Crowdus is batting .386 (17-for-44) this season.
Ellen Roberts is off to a strong start in the circle as well. The senior earned her second consecutive American Athletic Conference "Honor Roll" selection this season, after pitching 17 innings with a 1.21 ERA at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Classic. Roberts is currently 5-4 with a 1.54 ERA thus far in her senior campaign.
The Stetson Classic
Memphis (8-8) will play four games during the three-day event this weekend. The Tigers open against host Stetson on Friday, Feb. 7 at 3:00 p.m. Memphis faces South Dakota at 12:30 p.m. and then plays a rematch with Stetson at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8. The Tigers conclude play with an 11:00 a.m. contest against Bethune-Cookman on Sunday, Feb. 9.
Stetson Classic Schedule
- Mar. 7: Memphis at Stetson (8-3) 3:00 p.m.
- Mar. 8: Memphis vs. South Dakota (8-5) 12:30 p.m.
- Mar. 8: Memphis at Stetson 5:30 p.m.
- Mar. 9: Memphis vs. Bethune-Cookman (5-13) 11:00 a.m.
Memphis vs. Stetson Classic Opponents
- Memphis has never played two of its three opponents in the Stetson Classic.
- Memphis and Stetson will meet for the first time on Mar. 7 and Mar. 8.
- Memphis and South Dakota will meet for the first time on Mar. 8.
- Memphis is 1-0 all-time against Bethune Cookman. The Tigers won the lone matchup 6-0 in eight innings at the USF Wilson Invitational on Feb. 10, 2008. Memphis put together a six-run eighth inning behind a two-run double from Leila Dolfo and a run-scoring triple from Heather Mott. Janelle Valle earned her first collegiate victory in the contest.
Back to the Sunshine State
- The trip to Florida will represent a return to the Sunshine State for two Tigers: Amber Lindahl (Lake Worth, Fla./Park Vista Community HS) and Haleigh Ross (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier HS)
- Lindahl was a three-year letterwinner in high school, and set a school record for RBI in a season with 40 during her junior year.
- Ross was a two-time all-area (2012, 2013) selection and an all-conference selection in 2013.
- Tigers trainer Michelle Hubbard also hails from the Sunshine State.
Playing With A Lead
- Memphis has scored in the first or second inning in six of the team's eight wins so far this season.
- Memphis is 7-3 when they score first, and 1-5 when the opponent opens the scoring.
An Early Impact
- Several of the Memphis freshmen have made quite an impact so far in 2014.
- Brittany Vaughn has played shortstop and hit third in the order in every game so far this year. The Bowling Green, Ky. native has reached base in all 16 of the Tigers games. Vaughn is second on the team with a .349 (15-for-43) batting average, and leads the Tigers with four doubles and twelve runs batted in.
- Lindsay Crowdus, who has played center field and hit leadoff in 13 games, leads the team with a .386 (17-for-44) so far in 2014. She also leads the Tigers in hits (17), triples (2), and total bases (21).
- In the circle, Christian Novak holds a 3-2 record and a 2.29 ERA. Novak has allowed 12 runs in 36.2 innings pitched to go with 25 strikeouts. She is second on the team in wins so far in 2014.
- Calli Irvin has seen time in the circle, at designated player and at first base. Irvin is hitting .313 (10-for-32) and leads the team with two home runs so far this season.
- Haleigh Ross is third on the team with six RBI and hit her first collegiate home run on Feb. 21 against Morehead State.
- Anna Thomas has played in six games at first base. \Six of the seven Memphis newcomers have played so far in 2014. Freshman infielder Sami Jo Schulz is injured and did not play last weekend.
Finding the Power
- Memphis has five home runs through 16 games in 2014 (Irvin 2x, Ross, Goranson, Braman).
- Last season, Memphis only hit eight home runs.
- The 2013 Tigers hit their fourth home run of the season in the team's 52nd game of the season (Apr. 20, 2013 at East Carolina).
- Freshman shortstop Brittany Vaughn has reached base in all 16 games to start her collegiate career and in all 16 games this season.
- The 16-game reached base streak is tied for the fifth-longest reach base streak in program history.
- Entering play at the 2014 Stetson Classic (Mar. 7-9), sophomore Cierra Mangum has reached base in eight consecutive games.
Putting up Zeros...
- Senior pitcher Ellen Roberts is off to a strong start in her senior campaign.
- Roberts is 4-2 with a 1.54 ERA in 11 appearances so far in 2014. She also has one save, giving her a program record six saves in her Memphis career.
- The senior has made nine starts this season and has pitched seven complete games.
- Roberts has lowered her career ERA to 2.92. Prior to this season, Roberts' lowest ERA in a single season was 3.06 in 2012.
- The Memphis pitching staff has allowed just 38 earned runs in 108 innings pitched this season.
- The Tigers have a team ERA of 2.46 through 16 games.
- In the first 16 games of the 2013 season, the Memphis pitchers had allowed 55 earned runs and had a team ERA of 3.71.
All in the Hits...
- Memphis has 100 hits as a team so far in 2014, an average of 6.25 per game
- In the team's eight wins, the Tigers are averaging 8. 1 hits game and the team is 7-1 in 2014 when outhitting the opponent.
- In the team's eight losses, the Tigers are averaging 4.4 hits per game and the team is 1-6 in games where the opponent has more hits.
- Memphis is 0-1 when the team has the same number of hits as the opponent.