March 11, 2013
MEMPHIS - The University of Memphis softball team begins an 11-game home stand on Tuesday with a doubleheader against Missouri State (8-9) starting at 2 p.m. at the Tigers Softball Complex.
The Tigers (10-13, 3-0 C-USA) are coming off a three-game sweep at UTEP to open Conference USA play. The season marks the first time Memphis has began a season 3-0 in C-USA.
Admission to the doubleheader is free. A live stream of the game is available for Memphis All-Access subscribers on the Memphis Tiger Network at www.gotigersgo.com/allaccess.
Memphis Quick Hits
- Junior outfielder Ijiah Hargrove leads the team with a .333 average. Senior second baseman Morgan Mosby is the team leader in RBI with nine and is hitting .307. Senior outfielder Lelani Bernardino and senior shortstop Laura Curtis lead the team in runs scored with eight.
- The Tigers are hitting .221 as a team with 61 runs scored in 23 games. The team averages 2.75 runs per game.
- Jordan Richwood leads the team with a 5-3 record and a 3.40 ERA. She has 69 strikeouts with 28 walks in 47.1 innings.
- Ellen Roberts is 4-9 with a 3.43 ERA. She has 80 strikeouts and 38 walks in 89.2 innings.
- As a staff, the Tigers have a 3.46 team ERA with 159 strikeouts in 151.2 innings.
- Freshman third baseman Cierra Mangum has the team's longest active hitting streak at five games.
- Senior second baseman Morgan Mosby leads the team with six multiple-hit games.
- Memphis is 8-1 when scoring three runs or more.
Memphis vs Missouri State
- Missouri State leads the all-time series with Memphis 1-0. The two teams met for the first time last year in the Blues City Classic. The Bears defeated the Tigers 1-0.
- Heather Duckworth had the lone run scored in the game after leading off the third with a double and scoring on back-to-back sac bunts.
- Memphis struck out 11 batters in the game and outhit Missouri State 5-3.
- Missouri State placed second in the 2012 Blues City Classic with a 4-1 record.
|Memphis vs Missouri State (0-1)
Scouting Missouri State
- Missouri State is 8-9 on the season after finishing 25-26 in 2012 and 12-14 in the Missouri Valley Conference. • The Bears RPI in 2012 ranked 141st.
- Missouri State has only played two games in the month of March due to weather cancellations.
- The Bears last played a doubleheader at Southeast Missouri State on March 7, splitting the two games. SEMO won game one, 3-2, with MSU winning game two, 2-1
- The Bears are 6-4 in their last 10 games with wins over Iowa State, Boston College, Toledo, Chattanooga, UTSA and SEMO.
- Offensively, MSU is hitting .300 with 12 home runs and 89 runs scored in 17 games. The Bears are averaging 5.24 runs per game, while allowing 4.35 runs per contest.
- Junior catcher Stacia Boeckstiegel leads the team with a .389 average. Senior first baseman Stevie Pierce is right behind her with a .383 average and leads the team in RBI with 21 and home runs with six. Senior shortstop Kirstin Cutter leads the team in runs scored with 17 and stolen bases with six.
- In the circle, Missouri State has a 4.30 ERA with 39 strikeouts and 36 walks in 109.0 innings pitched. Opponents are hitting .300.
- Sophomore RHP Chelsea Jones leads the team with a 3.75 ERA and is 7-3 with 26 strikeouts, 23 walks and 40 runs allowed in 71.0 innings pitched. Freshman RHP Jessie Van Es is 1-6 with a 5.44 ERA and has 13 strikeouts, 13 walks and 34 runs allowed in 37.1 innings.
Memphis vs the Missouri Valley
- Memphis is 2-5 all-time against the Missouri Valley Conference and defeated Indiana State 2-1 earlier this season in the Blues City Classic.
- Memphis head coach Natalie Poole is 3-3 all-time against the MVC.
|Memphis vs MVC (2-5)
- Memphis went 3-1 in week 5 of the 2013 schedule.
- The Tigers lost 8-1 at Mississippi State in a midweek match-up in Starkville, Miss.
- Memphis opened Conference USA play on the road at UTEP in El Paso, Texas, and earned a three-game sweep.
- The Tigers start the C-USA schedule 3-0 for the first time in school history.
- The three-game sweep is the third-straight series sweep for Memphis over UTEP. The Tigers have a nine-game winning streak over the Miners.
- Memphis will host a three-game series with # 21/22 Tulsa on Saturday and Sunday.
- The Tigers will host the Golden Hurricane in a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m. and a single game at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
- Memphis will host its first ever-ranked opponent with No. 21/22 Tulsa.