March 19, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The University of Memphis softball team travels to Birmingham, Ala., for a midweek doubleheader at Samford on Tuesday with the first game scheduled for 4 p.m.
The Tigers (6-22, 0-6 C-USA) have seen an improvement in pitching over the last couple of weeks with freshman Jordan Richwood and sophomore Ellen Roberts both providing effective outings. Richwood has a 0.78 ERA in conference play. Memphis has lost five of its six conference games by two runs or less, including two 1-0 losses to Marshall.
Memphis will be matched up against a Samford team that has also been struggling. The Bulldogs are 5-20 on the season and 0-6 in the SoCon. Samford is 1-10 at home with its one win a 5-3 victory over South Alabama last week.
Memphis Quick Hits
- Over the last two weeks, the Tigers are 2-7, but the team pitching staff has combined for a 2.37 ERA. That is over 1.50 points lower than the season ERA of 4.09.
- Freshman Jordan Richwood leads the team in ERA with a 3.23 mark. She has struck out 49 batters with 35 walks in 47.2 innings. Over the last two weeks, Richwood has a 1.46 ERA in four appearances with 25 strikeouts and seven walks in 24 innings pitched.
- Sophomore Ellen Roberts is 4-10 on the season and has a 3.72 ERA with 69 strikeouts with 19 walks in 86.2 innings. In six appearances over the last two weeks, Roberts ERA is 2.42 with 24 K’s and 11 walks in 34.2 innings pitched.
- Junior shortstop Morgan Mosby continues to lead the Memphis offense. She is the only player hitting above .300 with a .326 average. She has 29 hits with seven RBI and eight runs scored.
- The second best hitter for the Tigers in its last nine games has been Amber Lindahl. The sophomore catcher is batting .263 over that stretch (5-for-19).
- The Memphis pitching staff has a 2.69 ERA in conference play. Jordan Richwood leads the staff with a 0.78 ERA in three appearances with 15 strikeouts and four walks in 18 innings.
- Morgan Mosby and Ellen Roberts both lead the team in conference games with a .316 average.
- Memphis has a 6-2 record all-time against teams in the Southern Conference (SoCon).
- Head coach Natalie Poole is 94-74 all-time against teams from the SoCon. Her first head coaching sting came with SoCon member Georgia Southern. Poole is 1-2 all-time against Samford.
- The midweek trips marks the Tigers’ third trip to the state of Alabama this season. Memphis opened the season at a tournament in Mobile, Ala., and then opened the C-USA schedule at UAB in Birmingham.
History with Samford
Memphis is 1-1 all-time against Samford with the only meeting taking place in Birmingham, Ala., in 2009. The two teams split a doubleheader on April 15, 2009 with the U of M winning the first game 2-1 and falling 2-1 in the second game. Current Tigers that played against Samford as freshmen include Jessica Phillips, Nikki Moreno, Kamri Chester and Lelani Bernardino. Phillips went 1-for-3 in the first game and Bernardino finished 2-for-3 with both RBI in game one.
4-15-2009 A NR W 2-1
4-15-2009 A NR L 1-2
Samford Quick Hits
- Samford is 5-20 on the season and 0-6 in the Southern Conference. The Bulldogs have a 1-10 mark at home.
- As a team, Samford is hitting .251 with 84 runs scored in 25 games and 11 home runs.
- Freshman Madison Dickey leads the team with a .341 batting average and three home runs with 12 RBI.
- The Bulldog pitching staff has a combined ERA of 4.29 with 72 strikeouts in 168 innings and one shutout.
- Junior pitcher Misha Aldridge has seen the brunt of the innings and is 3-10 with a 3.18 ERA. She has 43 strikeouts in 90.1 innings pitched and a shutout.
- Samford’s No. 2 pitcher has been senior Robyn Harmon. She is 2-6 on the season with a 5.25 ERA and 18 strikeouts in 49.1 innings of work.
- Samford is 1-9 in its last 10 games and is recently coming off a three-game sweep by the College of Charleston in Mt. Pleasant, S.C. The final game of the series ended in a 6-2 loss by Samford after a five-hour rain delay.
- Among common opponents with Memphis, Samford beat South Alabama 5-3, lost to Mississippi Valley State 6-4, lost to Alabama 7-3, and lost to Mississippi State 11-5 and 6-3.
- Samford head coach Mandy Burford is in her first season after serving as an assistant.
Memphis travels to Houston to complete the five-game road swing. The Tigers will play a three-game conference series at Houston on Saturday and Sunday. Memphis will then return home for a five-game home stand with Murray State and Southern Miss.
Memphis went 1-3 in week six of the season at home. The Tigers opened the week with a 3-1 victory over UT Martin. The U of M then ended the week with a three-game sweep by Marshall. The Tigers were shutout in all three games, losing 1-0 in both games of a doubleheader and then 6-0 in the final game of the series. The opening game against Marshall was televised by the Fox Sports Network, marking the first televised game for the Memphis softball program.
Both games of the doubleheader can be followed live through GameTracker. Additionally a free live web video stream through UStream will also be available. Links to the live coverage can be found on the Memphis softball schedule page at GoTigersGo.com.