April 19, 2012
Memphis Week 11 Game Notes
ORLANDO, Fla. - The University of Memphis softball team (18-31, 6-12 C-USA) travel to Orlando, Fla., for a three-game series at UCF (32-12, 10-5 C-USA). The series has been moved up a day due to potential weather and will begin with a doubleheader on Friday at 3/5 p.m. (ET). The final game of the series is yet to be determined.
The games mark the final conference road contests for the Tigers who have a bye week next week and end the season at home against East Carolina on May 5-6.
All of the Tigers' games this week can be followed through live stats provided by CBS College Sports GameTracker. Live video provided by Memphis Tiger Vision is also available for the games. Links to the live coverage can be found at GoTigersGo.com.
Memphis Quick Hits
- Laura Curtis drove in eight RBI in six games last week and had six RBI in a three-game sweep over UTEP.
- Curtis had a career best three RBI in game two with the Miners.
- Ellen Roberts went 4-0 last week with a save. She allowed just two earned runs in 29.0 innings and struck out 18 with six walks.
- Libby Goranson had her second double of the season and third multi-RBI game with a two-run double against No. 8/7 Tennessee.
- Memphis has won 11 of its last 16 games after starting the season 7-26.
- The Tigers had a season long seven-game winning streak snapped at Tennessee.
- Alyssa Palmieri is 3-for-5 with the bases loaded. The Tigers are 15-for-34 (.441) with the bases loaded. Laura Curtis, Amber Lindahl, Morgan Mosby, Jessica Phillips and Ellen Roberts also have multiple hits with the bases loaded.
- Memphis has the 154th ranked RPI.
Memphis made quick work against Alcorn State on Tuesday, winning both games of a double-header in five innings by a combined score of 18-0. In the fourth inning of the first game, Memphis put 13 batters in the box and scored nine runs on eight hits and three-Brave miscues. The Tigers continued the momentum in the second game, scoring one run in the first, three in the fourth and five in the fifth.
After a slow start in the first three innings against ULM the Memphis bats came alive, collecting six runs on eight hits in the fourth and fifth innings. Ellen Roberts pitched a complete game, striking out six batters and did not allow an earned run.
The Tigers closed the week with a three-game sweep over UTEP. Memphis outscored the Miners 16-3 in the three games.
Memphis dropped a pair of midweek games at No. 8/7 Tennessee on Tuesday. The Tigers fell 5-0 in the first game and suffered a 3-2 loss in game two. Libby Goranson's double in game two gave Memphis a 2-0 lead in the third, but the Lady Vols scored three unanswered runs to take the victory.
Next week is finals week for the Tigers and they play just one game. Memphis will travel to Starkville, Miss., for a single midweek game against Mississippi State on Tuesday, April 24, at 6 p.m.
History Versus UCF
The series between Memphis and UCF is tied at 9-9. The Tigers have won the last three games, sweeping the three-game series last year in Memphis. UCF holds a 6-2 all-time advantage in Orlando against Memphis. 13 of the 18 games between the two schools have been decided by a two runs or less. The last time Memphis went to Orlando the two teams split a doubleheader and had the third game rained out. Both games were one-run contests.
4-14-2006 A L 1-2
4-14-2006 A L 3-4
4-15-2006 A W 3-1
5-5-2007 H W 3-1
5-5-2007 H W/11 2-1
5-6-2007 H W 2-1
4-19-2008 A L 0-5
4-19-2008 A L 2-4
4-20-2008 A L 0-8
4-24-2009 H W 2-0
4-24-2009 H L 2-3
4-25-2009 H L 3-4
3-13-2010 A W 1-0
3-13-2010 A L 1-2
5-14-2010 N L 1-3
4-22-2011 H W 3-0
4-22-2011 H W 4-1
4-23-2011 H W 8-0
UCF Quick Hits
- UCF has the 41st ranked RPI.
- The Knights defeated No. 3 Florida last week, 2-0, at home. Freshman pitcher Mackenzie Audas struck out 11 and allowed just two hits.
- Freshman Mackenzie Audus leads C-USA in ERA (1.06), strikeouts (202) and wins (17). She is 17-6 on the year.
- Audas ranks 7th in the nation in ERA, 6th in hits allowed per 7 innings (4.06), 8th in shutouts (9) and 13th in strikeouts.
- The Knights lead C-USA with a 1.45 team ERA, which ranks 10th in the nation.
- Natalie Land ranks 10th in the nation in stolen bases and is 32-for-36. She also leads the team with a .306 average, five home runs and has 20 RBI and 38 runs scored.
- The Knights are hitting .262 as a team with 14 home runs and 187 runs scored in 44 games.
- UCF lost two of three games at UAB last week in conference play.
A Pair of Tigers' Tales
Prior to the start of C-USA play (21 games), Memphis was hitting only .207 and the pitching staff's ERA was 4.63. The Tigers are hitting at a higher clip (.236) and their ERA has been significantly less (2.34) in the last 28 games.
In the same two time frames, both Roberts and Richwood have taken control in the pitching circle. Roberts went from a 4.15 ERA to a 2.09 ERA and Richwood dropped from 4.72 to 2.05.
Roberts' ERA Falling Like a Rock
Sophomore pitcher Ellen Roberts threw two-consecutive shutouts against Alcorn State and ULM this week, lowering her season ERA to 2.81. She struck out 11 batters and allowed only one walk in the two games.
Curtis, Lindahl Hittin' in the C-USA
In C-USA games, third baseman Laura Curtis leads the Tigers with a .313 batting average. Catcher Amber Lindahl is second, hitting .279 in conference play.
A Tale of Two Richwoods
Freshman pitcher Jordan Richwood has had a dramatic improvement in her season. Through the first 11 games, she was 0-5 with a 4.72 ERA and 34 strikeouts with 31 walks in 29.2 innings pitched. In her last 16 appearances, Richwood is 6-4 with a 2.05 ERA and 67 strikeouts with 18 walks in 68.1 innings pitched.