April 23, 2012
Memphis Week 12 Game Notes
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- The University of Memphis softball team (19-33) travels to Starkville, Miss., for a midweek game against Mississippi State (29-18). First pitch in the contests is scheduled for 6 p.m. (CT). This marks the final non-conference game of the season for the U of M. Following the game against MSU, Memphis will have a 10-day layoff between games. The final C-USA series of the season is scheduled for May 5-6 against visiting East Carolina.
All of the Tigers' games this week can be followed through live stats provided by CBS College Sports GameTracker. Live video provided by Mississippi State is also available for the games. Links to the live coverage can be found at GoTigersGo.com.
Memphis Quick Hits
- Three Tigers hit over .400 in five games last week, Laura Curtis, Libby Goranson and Ijiah Hargrove.
- Laura Curtis was 7-for-15 (.467), with four runs scored, three RBI and a homer in five games against No. 8/7 Tennessee and UCF.
- Libby Goranson hit .462 (6-for-13) and drove in three runs in the last five games.
- Ijiah Hargrove went 4-for-9 (.444) with a pair of RBI, including the game-winner against UCF, last week.
- Ellen Roberts went 1-2 last week with a 3.56 ERA in 19.2 innings pitched.
- Memphis is 12-7 in its last 19 games after starting the season 7-26.
- The Tigers' 3-0 win at UCF on Sunday snapped a four-game skid.
- The U of M is 13-8 at the Tiger Softball Complex, but just 6-23 away from home.
- Memphis has the 154th ranked RPI.
Memphis dropped both games of a midweek double-header at No. 8/7 Tennessee. The Tigers had opportunities to plate runs in five of the seven innings in the opening game, but were unable to score. Tennessee capitalized on several fielding miscues to take game one, 5-0. Memphis jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the game two, but the Vols fought back to tie the game in the bottom of the third. Shelby Burchell's homer in the bottom of the fifth was the deciding run in the 3-2 loss.
Memphis entered the seventh inning of game one against UCF with a 7-5 lead. The Knights hit a lead-off homer and put runners on first and second. The Tigers were one out from ending the game after a sac bunt advanced the runners and a strikeout. But, a single to left-center plated both runners to end the game, 8-7.
The Tigers dropped game two, 7-4. Jessica Phillips went 1-for-4, with the lone hit coming as a three-run homer to left field. Memphis left 11 runners on base in the game.
In the series' finale, Ellen Roberts pitched a two-hit shutout, as the Tigers won 3-0. Ijiah Hargrove went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI in the win, which snapped a four-game losing streak for Memphis.
Memphis has a midweek game against Mississippi State on Tuesday, before a 10-day layoff that includes finals.
Memphis will wrap up the regular season with a weekend series against East Carolina at the Tiger Softball Complex in Memphis, Tenn., on May 5-6.
History Versus MSU
This will be the second meeting between the two schools this season. MSU defeated Memphis, 9-6, in the Mardi Gras Invitational in Mobile, Ala., at the beginning of the season.
Mississippi State (0-1)
4-12-2012 N L 6-9
MSU Quick Hits
- UCF has the 31st ranked RPI.
- The Bulldogs swept Kentucky over the weekend to clinch a berth in the SEC's softball tournament.
- MSU is in the midst of a seven-game winning streak and are winners of nine of their last 10.
- Brittany Bell leads the Bulldogs at the plate with a .379 average (47-for-124) and is tied for the team lead with 34 runs scored. Her 31 RBI are second on the team.
- Kaili Smith is hitting . 369 (52-of-141) with 34 runs scored.
- Bell and Smith have combined for 19 doubles this season.
- Jessica Cooley leads the team with 13 homeruns.
- Stephanie Becker leads MSU in the circle with a 16-10 record and has a 2.75 ERA
A Pair of Tigers' Tales
Prior to the start of C-USA play (21 games), Memphis was hitting only .207 and the pitching staff's ERA was 4.63. The Tigers are hitting at a higher clip (.241) and their ERA has been significantly less (2.49) in the last 31 games.
In the same two time frames, both Roberts and Richwood have taken control in the pitching circle. Roberts went from a 4.15 ERA to a 2.20ERA and Richwood dropped from 4.72 to 2.39.
Curtis is Warming Up at the Hot-Corner
In the last 28 games, Curtis is hitting .329 (28-for-85) with 15 runs scored and 14 RBI. She also leads the team with three homeruns in that time frame.
Roberts' ERA Dropped Like a Rock
Sophomore pitcher Ellen Roberts threw two-consecutive shutouts against Alcorn State and ULM. She struck out 11 batters and allowed only one walk in the two games. Roberts threw a two-hit shutout against UCF on Sunday and she now sports a 2.83 ERA.
Curtis, Goranson Hittin' in the C-USA
In C-USA games, designated player Libby Goranson leads the Tigers with a .333 average and third baseman Laura Curtis is hitting at a .328 clip. Curtis leads the team with 11 RBI and nine runs scored.
Goranson is the Delivering Player
Since being inserted into the lineup as the designated player four games ago, Libby Goranson has delivered for the Tigers. She is hitting .462 with three RBI in the four-game stretch.