Women's Tennis Edged by Auburn, 4-3
Feb. 19, 2011
AUBURN, Ala.-Memphis rallied in singles to pick up three points, but No. 63 Auburn taking the early 1-0 lead with the doubles point would be just enough to secure them the 4-3 decision in Saturday's match.
"It obviously hurts when you lose a 4-3 match," head coach Lee Taylor Walker said. "It gets old to get close and come up short."
The U of M (3-5) altered its doubles pairings for the first time this season, and at No. 2 doubles freshman Kathleen Hawkins and sophomore Kelly Gray came up short against Plamena Kurteva and Paulina Schippers 8-3. Sophomore Courtney Collins and junior Mariya Slupska fell at No. 1 by the same score to give Auburn (2-4) the first point in the match.
The Blue and Gray fought back in singles to try and make up for the missed point in doubles and appeared to be get off on the right foot when No. 107 Collins took down Paulina Schippers in straight sets 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1 singles.
The other two Lady Tigers to pick up victories against AU were Mariya Slupska at the No. 2 slot with a routing of Caroline Thornton 6-4, 6-2, and Andrea Arques-Garcia at No. 5 after pulling out a three-set defeat of Taylor Schreimann 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
"Andrea broke through and that is huge for our team," Coach Walker said. "We just have to remain positive and persevere."
The Lady Tigers have two-week break and are back on the court March 3rd, when the take on North Carolina Central in Cary, N.C., before heading to Chapel Hill to face UNC.
Memphis 3, No. 63 Auburn 4
1. #107 Courtney Collins (MU) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mariya Sulpska (MU) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Olivia Bennett (AU) def. Stefanie Mikesz (MU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Kelly Gray (MU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Kathleen Hawkins (MU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Andrea Arques-Garcia (MU) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
1. Olivia Bennett/Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Courtney Collins/Mariya Sulpska (MU) 8-3
2. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Kathleen Hawkins/Kelly Gray (MU) 8-3
3. Taylor Schreimann/Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Andrea Arques-Garcia/Stefanie Mikesz (MU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,3,5,2,6)