Sept. 20, 2012
A week ago, the University of Memphis volleyball team posted a 3-1 record at their own Tiger Invitational. This week, the Tigers open conference play in the friendly confines of the Elma Roane Fieldhouse as the Tigers host Rice on Friday and Houston on Sunday.
Memphis vs. Rice
September 21 | Memphis, Tenn. | Elma Roane Fieldhouse
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
Memphis Game Notes
Memphis vs. Rice (8-7, 1-0, CUSA) - Friday, September 21, 7:00 pm
All-Time Series: Tied 4-4
Last meeting: Rice won 3-0, Oct. 21, 2011
The Owls got off to a slow start, but they have heated up of late, winning six of their last eight matches. Rice most recently defeated Houston 3-0 on Tuesday night. Rice has an attack percentage of .242, a mark that leads Conference USA. Their average of 13.43 assists per set also sits atop the league.
Nancy Cole leads the Owls’ high powered offense with 180 kills (3.67 per set) and an attack percentage of .332. Laurie McNamara and Jilian Humphrey are the only other two Owls to top the 100 kills mark with 135 and 110, respectively. McNamara averages 2.65 kills per set and is hitting .277 while Humphrey has an average of 2.16 kills per set and an attack percentage of .267. Megan Murphy leads C-USA in assists, dishing out 11.22 per set. She has a total of 572 helpers on the season.
Memphis vs. Houston
September 23 | Memphis, Tenn. | Elma Roane Fieldhouse
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
Memphis vs. Houston (1-10, 0-1 CUSA) - Sunday, September 23, 1:00 pm
All-Time Series: Houston leads 23-9
Last Meeting: Houston won 3-1, Oct. 23 2011
Following their only win of the season, a 3-1 victory over Lipscomb, Houston has dropped their last five matches, including three losses to ranked teams. Houston recently fell to Rice 3-0 on Tuesday night. The Cougars rank near the bottom of the C-USA standings in most categories, but their 1.60 blocks per set average ranks ninth in the league.
Katie Norris leads the Cougar attack with 147 kills, and her 3.67 kills per set average ranks 10th in C-USA. Chandace Tryon is not far behind as she has 113 kills (2.83 per set). Tryon’s .316 attack percentage also ranks seventh in the league.
- When Memphis defeated UIC in five sets, not only did they even their season record in five set matches at 1-1, but they hit over .300. The Tigers’ attack percentage of .310 marked the first time since October 13, 2009 they eclipsed the .300 mark in a five-set match.
- The Tigers recorded 11 service aces against Alabama A&M on Saturday, marking the first time this season they reached double figures in a match. Last season, Memphis tallied at least 10 aces in a match four times, including a season-high of 12.
- In four matches at the Tiger Invitational, Memphis posted an attack percentage of .259, raising their season hitting percentage to .201, which ranks fourth in Conference USA.
- Memphis has served up 66 aces this season, and their 1.32 aces per set average ranks second in C-USA. Marshall leads the league with an average of 1.44 aces per set.
- Memphis had three players record double-doubles against UIC, Marija Jovanovic, Altrese Hawkins and Jaden Louie. The last time the Tigers accomplished this feat was last year on October 30.
- Marija Jovanovic (Belgrade, Serbia) was named to the Tiger Invitational All-Tournament team after leading the Tigers with 59 kills. She posted her first double-double of the season when she registered 21 kills and 11 digs against UIC.
- Viktorija Teivane (Daugavpils, Latvia) finished second on the team with a .329 attack percentage last week. She totaled 32 kills against just five errors on 82 attempts. Teivane set her season-high with nine kills against UIC and matched it against Louisiana.
- Katie Meyer (Dalton, Ohio/Walsh Jesuit) posted 17 total blocks (1.06 per set) last week. She currently leads the team with 44 blocks and ranks fifth in C-USA with an average of 1.02 blocks per set.