Sept. 27, 2012
The University of Memphis volleyball team takes their first Conference USA road trip this weekend after dropping a pair of home matches last weekend. The Tigers will first take on Tulane University on Friday night in New Orleans, La. before facing UTEP on Sunday in El Paso, Texas.
Memphis at Tulane
September 28 | New Orleans, La. | Fogelman Arena
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
Memphis Game Notes
Memphis at Tulane (3-11, 1-2 C-USA) - Friday, September 28, 7:00 pm
All-Time Series: Memphis leads 23-18
Last meeting: Memphis won 3-1, Nov. 11, 2011
Tulane opened Conference USA play with a 3-1 win over UTEP on September 13, however, they fell to Southern Miss (3-2) and UCF (3-1) last weekend. The Green Wave have served well so far this season, ranking fourth in C-USA with an average of 1.2 aces per set.
Cori Martone leads the Green Wave with 235 kills, and her 4.12 kills per set average ranks third in C-USA. Martone also ranks fourth in the league with 0.33 aces per set. Grace Weaver follows Martone with 147 kills (2.62 per set) while Mel Mandelbaum leads the team with 485 assists (8.51 per set).
Memphis at UTEP
September 30 | Memorial Gym | El Paso, Texas
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
Memphis at UTEP (8-7, 2-1 C-USA) - Sunday, September 30, 1:00 pm CT
All-Time Series: Memphis leads 7-5
Last Meeting: UTEP won 3-1, Oct. 8, 2011
UTEP has won their last four matches, including a 3-2 comeback victory over New Mexico State on Wednesday night. The Miners have one of the most potent offenses in the league as they lead C-USA with a .249 attack percentage.
C-USA Offensive Player of the Week, Jeane Horton ranks third in C-USA with an attack percentage of .339 and second in kills per set, at 4.38. Her 241 kills lead the team while Xitlali Herrera is second at 168 (3.05 per set). Malia Patterson, co-C-USA Setter of the Week, ranks second in the league with an average of 10.9 assists per set. Cassandra Barruel leads C-USA, averaging of 1.3 blocks per set.
- The Tigers have served well this season, ranking third in Conference USA with an average of 1.3 aces per set. Memphis recorded six aces against Houston on Sunday.
- For the second consecutive week, the Tigers will face one of the most potent offenses in C-USA. This week, Memphis faces UTEP’s high powered attack, hitting .249, which ranks first in C-USA. Last week the Tigers faced C-USA leader Rice.
- The matchup with Tulane pits two of the top serving teams in the conference. The Tigers rank third in aces per set (1.3) and the Green Wave rank fourth with 1.2 aces per set.
- The Tigers also face two of the conference's top hitters, in terms of kills per set. UTEP’s Jeane Horton ranks second in the league (4.38) and Tulane’s Cori Martone is third at 4.12. Memphis’ Altrese Hawkins ranks fourth at 4.05 kills per set.
- Altrese Hawkins (Schaumburg, Ill./Hoffman Estates) registered 13 kills against Houston, which moved her into sole possession of third place on Memphis’ all-time kills list, passing Ashley Liford (2004-07). Hawkins now has 1,581 career kills.
- Marija Jovanovic (Belgrade, Serbia) surpassed the 1,100 career kill plateau and moved into 16th place on Memphis’ career kills list. Jovanovic led the team with 15 kills against Houston and currently has 1,110 career kills.
- Maja Kostic (Belgrade, Serbia) served up all three of Memphis’ aces against Rice, and currently leads the team with 19 aces. Her average of 0.37 aces per set ranks third in C-USA.
- Along with Kostic, Aleksandra Petronijevic (Belgrade, Serbia) also ranks in C-USA’s top-10 in terms of service aces per set. Petronijevic’s average of 0.28 aces per set ranks sixth, and she has 16 total aces this year.