Nov. 1, 2012
The University of Memphis volleyball team wraps up their home schedule this weekend with a pair of Conference USA matches. The Tigers face, Marshall on Friday night before taking on East Carolina on Sunday afternoon. Sunday is also Senior Day at the Elma Roane Fieldhouse.
Memphis vs. Marshall
November 2 | Elma Roane Fieldhouse | Memphis, Tenn.
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
Memphis Game Notes
Memphis vs. Marshall (16-10, 6-6 C-USA) - Friday, November 2, 7:00 pm
All-Time Series: Marshall leads 6-8
Last meeting: Memphis won 3-2, Oct. 21, 2012
Marshall has struggled lately, dropping their last five matches. The Thundering Herd fell at Southern Miss (3-0) and at UCF (3-1) last weekend. Marshall ranks second in Conference USA in two categories. They are holding their opponents to an attack percentage of .182 and the Thundering Herd average 1.3 aces per set.
Laura Der and Sacha Byous-McConnell pace the Marshall offense as Der ranks second in the league with an average of 4.32 kills per set and Byous-McConnell his hitting .297 this season. Sammie Bane has distributed the ball well, averaging 10.6 assists per set and Dorothy Rahal anchors the defense with 4.5 digs per set. Both rank third in C-USA.
Memphis vs. East Carolina
November 4 | Elma Roane Fieldhouse | Memphis, Tenn.
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
Memphis vs. East Carolina (1-22, 0-12 C-USA) - Sunday, November 4, 1:00 pm
All-Time Series: Memphis leads 17-3
Last Meeting: Memphis won 3-1, Oct. 19, 2012
East Carolina has lost 21 straight matches, including losses at UCF (3-0) and Southern Miss (3-2) last weekend. The Pirates only win of the season came over Bethune-Cookman on August 25. East Carolina has blocked well this season, ranking seventh in C-USA with an average of 2.06 stuffs per set.
Nicole Willis leads the Pirate attack and ranks sixth in the league with an average of 3.76 kills per set. She set a school record with 32 kills against Southern Miss on Sunday. Kelly Derby averages 1.0 blocks per set to lead the Pirates and rank sixth in the conference. She has 84 total blocks, 17 solo and 67 assists.
- Memphis recorded their season-best single set attack percentage in the first set at SMU when they hit .556. It was also the second time this season the Tigers didn't commit an attack error in a set.
- Sunday is Senior Day at the Elma Roane Fieldhouse. Memphis will honor their three seniors, Maja Kostic, Marija Jovanovic and Altrese Hawkins.
- For the second time this season, the Tigers recorded 10 blocks in a match when the posted 10.0 at SMU on Sunday. Memphis also registered 11.0 blocks against UAB.
- SMU's 19.0 blocks against Memphis on Sunday marked the first time a team had recorded that many blocks against the Tigers since the Mustangs do so last October.
- With wins over Marshall and East Carolina earlier this season, the Tigers have won a combined 14 straight matches against the Thundering Herd and the Pirates.
- Altrese Hawkins (Schaumburg, Ill./Hoffman Estates) continues to climb the all-time kills list. With 30 kills this week, Hawkins now has 1,744 career kills, only 45 away from Monique Swaby's school record.
- Lauren Hawkins (Rowlett, Texas) set a season-best and came within one of her career-high when she posted 13 kills at SMU. The sophomore hit .455 in the match, and led the Tigers with a .406 attack percentage last week.
- For the second consecutive week, setter Veronica Zimmerman (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) posted a career-high in assists. This week she dished out 57 helpers at SMU, marking the second time this season the Tigers have had a player reach the 50 assist plateau.