Nov. 8, 2012
The University of Memphis volleyball team travels to Southern Miss and UCF to finish regular season play. The Tigers are currently in a three-way tie for seventh place in Conference USA and have a chance to qualify for the eight-team C-USA Tournament. Memphis plays at Southern Miss on Friday night before facing UCF on Sunday afternoon.
Memphis at Southern Miss
November 9 | Reed Green Coliseum | Hattiesburg, Miss.
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
Memphis Game Notes
Memphis at Southern Miss (8-18, 4-10 C-USA) - Friday, November 9, 7:00 pm
All-Time Series: Marshall leads 24-18
Last meeting: Memphis won 3-2, Oct. 13, 2012
Southern Miss comes into Friday night’s contest having dropped back-to-back three set matches to Rice and Houston. The Golden Eagles have distributed the ball nicely this season, ranking seventh in Conference USA with an assists per set average of 11.6.
Setter Kristen Fleming leads the team with 978 helpers and ranks fourth in the league with an average of 10.2 assists per set. The duo of Halie Ecker and Jasmine Crowell lead the Golden Eagle attack with averages of 3.17 and 2.94 kills per set, respectively. Elizabeth Rinaudo has an average of 4.44 digs per set, which ranks six in C-USA.
Memphis at UCF
November 11 | The Venue at UCF | Orlando, Fla.
Live Video | Live Stats |Game Notes
Memphis at UCF (12-14, 9-5 C-USA) - Sunday, November 11, 1:00 pm ET
All-Time Series: Memphis leads 12-11
Last Meeting: UCF won 3-0, Oct. 12, 2012
UCF was on a five-match winning streak until the Knights were swept at Rice on Sunday. The Knights have one of the most potent offense’s in Conference USA as they rank in the top-5 in hitting percentage, kills and assists. UCF’s .201 attack percentage ranks fifth while their averages of 12.1 assists and 12.9 kills per set rank fourth.
DeLaina Sarden and Tory McCutcheon both rank in the league’s top-5 with attack percentages of .325 and .320, respectively. Angelica Crump leads the Knight attack with 303 kills, averaging 3.22 kills per set. Sarden also ranks sixth in the league with an average of 0.99 blocks per set, and Merideth Murphy ranks seventh with 4.38 digs per set.
- The Tigers set a season-high when they recorded 12.0 blocks against Marshall. The last time Memphis recorded at least 12 blocks in a match was the 2011 season when they had 13 against Miami.
- Memphis has had an attack percentage better that .200 each of the last three matches, equaling their best streak of the season.
- In their match against East Carolina, Memphis had an attack percentage of .287, their fourth best output this season.
- The Tigers have served well this season, ranking third in Conference USA with an average of 1.25 aces per set.
- Aleksandra Petronijevic (Belgrade, Serbia) has recorded at least 20 digs in each of her last three matches. Last week She was named AVSR Global Player of the Week after registering 33 digs against Marshall and 26 against East Carolina.
- With 27 kills last week, Altrese Hawkins (Schaumburg, Ill./Hoffman Estates) continues to inch closer to Monique Swaby’s all-time kill record of 1,789. Hawkins currently has 1,771 career kills.
- Marija Jovanovic (Belgrade, Serbia) hit .382 and led the Tigers with 18 kills in their Senior Day win over East Carolina. In the process, the senior moved into 10th place on Memphis all-time kills list, passing Shoni Hodges and Katherine Lehman. Jovanovic now has 1,269 career kills.
- Freshman Sydni Etheredge (Atlanta, Ga./Riverwood International) earned her first career start against East Carolina and posted two kills and four block assists.